Chapter 47

I had to get her something she really likes. Something that would surprise her and make her happy and have a big smile on her face.

I know just the thing.

After school, I accompanied her to her house and waved goodbye. Now, to but those shoes.

I've been saving money for this. I know that her birthday is really special. She's a very special girl.

I turned around the block and found myself entering a shoe store named Pigis. It was a weird name. Well, as lobg as they sell those shoes, it's fine.

I walked up to the girl sitting in front of the cashier. She was reading a magazine about babies. Maybe she was a mom and it was her first time. She wore a plain white t-shirt and jeans. It wasn't cold inside. The heater was on and it made my back perspire because I was wearing too much clothing, covering almost every part of my body except my face.

I put my backpack down on one of the green chairs and said, "I would like to check one of those shoes displayed in the window."

She looked up and nodded. She put the magazine down and stood up.

"What color would you like?"

"Black, please."

She went inside a wooden door. I say down on the chair next to my bag, waiting for her to come back. It took her so long to find those shoes, but luckily, when she came back, she held a shoe box containing the shoes I wanted to buy for Laira. Perfect.

All I needed to do was pay for it. I took out my wallet. I paid for it and put it the shoes box carefully inside my bag. I waved her goodbye and stepped out of the floor.

Now, for the gift wrapper. Where could I buy those? I walked around searching for some store that sold those kinds of stuff. Luckily, I was able to find one and bought the yellow orange one. I know it's not her favorite color, but hey, orange is fine, right?

I hurriedly went home because it was already late. She must be looking for me already. I climb the stairs slowly but surely, taking note of my breathing so as not to have an asthma attack again.

My dad was home.

"Where have you been?" He asked the moment I stepped inside the house.

"I bought a gift for Laira." I explained, holding the gift wrapper up to show it to him.

"What did you get her?"

"Those shoes she kept on looking at when we pass Pigis."

"I'm sure she'll like that." He gave me a pat on the back. I went through the kitchen and into my room. I put my bag down and opened it, revealing the shoe box. That was it. I finally bought it after such a long time. I needed to wrap it up before Rose gets home. Probably, she's with her boyfriend right now.

"Dad! Where's the tape?" I shouted. Great. He heard me because he answered, "First drawer to the left under my CDs."

I quickly took it out and started wrapping up my gift. I tried to decorate it with some ribbons, but they kept on falling off so in the end, I didn't put them. I just some designs with the wrapper.

"Dear Laira,

Happy happy birthday! I hope you have a great time and enjoy your very special day. Always remember that I am here for you. I love you so much!

Lots of love,

Blake."

There. I wrote a short message since I already wrote a very long. Letter for her which only took me a single sheet of paper because I made my writing extremely small, but readable. I took out some colored paper and started writing some more and added them to my first letter.

I hope she likes this.

I kept everything inside my other bag to keep it safe from any intruder who starts to scan my room for something unusual.

Bed. At last. After a long and tiring afternoon, I lay down on my bed. Staring at the ceiling was one of my hobbies now. Lately, I would just lie down on my bed and stare at it. I wasn't even thinking about anything specific at all. There was a variety of choices to think of, but I always choose not to think about anything.

I received a text from Laira.

"Have you eaten dinner already?"

I replied as soon as I read the text.

"No, I'm still full. You?"

I opened my laptop and saw that she was online. I clicked her name and saw her reply there.

Her: Not yet. Mom didn't cook and I'm too lazy to cook.

Me: What would you like to eat?

Her: Pizza. Hahahahaha. But I don't have money.

Automatically, I dialled 18850.

"Hello, this is Pizza Hut. What would you like to order?"

"One pepperoni pizza and one with the barbecue flavor, please."

I ordered pizza just for her. I told the boy who answered the phone to deliver it to her house. It was simple as that. Good thing, phones are invented and delivery men were hired to take ordered food to houses of their customers.

Me: You'll have you pizza when someone knocks on your door, babe.

About ten minutes later,

Her: OMG YOU ORDERED PIZZA JUST FOR ME. THANK YOUU.

Me: Hahahaha. Anything for my girlfriend.

Her: I love you.

Me: I love you, too.

We stayed up until midnight so that I would be the first one to greet her. I greeted her at exactly 12 mn. On her exact birthday.

"Happy Birthday Babe! I love you so much!"

"Aww thank you Mr. Parker. I love you."

"I love you more." I said. "Let's go to sleep? There's a bug day ahead of us."

"Sure. Good night handsome."

"Goodnight, beautiful."

I hang up. I called her to let her hear my voice when I greeted her. It was nice to hear her sweet voice before going to bed. It's like a lullaby. It will always be music to my ears.