xviv | auston matthews

GAME 7 | for nolanarenado

-

"I think I'm gonna die," Tatyana said, sighing heavily. She and the thousands of fans at the Air Canada Centre watched nervously as the Toronto Maple Leafs' game unfolded in front of them.

The stakes were higher than ever. The Leafs were playing in game 7 of the Stanley Cup against the Edmonton Oilers. At the end of regulation, the score was tied 3-3, causing the game to go into overtime. One more goal and it was over. Tatyana was practically praying for the Leafs to win; all she wanted was to see her husband, Auston, happy.

"I can't imagine how they feel out there," Stephanie, Mitch Marner's girlfriend, said. "Freddie must be scared out of his mind."

Tatyana couldn't bring herself to speak as Auston stole the puck from an Oilers player and sped down the ice. He was all alone as he faked the goalie out and shot the puck, scoring with a practically wide open net.

The fans roared. Tatyana jumped up, cheering loudly for Auston as his teammates tackled him. Tears streamed down her face as the moment sunk in; Her husband had won the Stanley Cup for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

She turned to Stephanie, who hugged her. The two had gotten to know each other because of Mitch and Auston, and they had become best friends.

"They did it, Steph," Tatyana said. "They actually did it."

"What a goal!" Stephanie exclaimed, a large smile on her face.

Tatyana couldn't even express how proud of Auston she was. They had first met in high school and had been together ever since. She had watched him grow into the amazing player he was, and having him score the game-winning goal in overtime of game 7 of the Stanley Cup made her more proud than ever. She loved Auston more than anything and watching him celebrate made her the happiest woman in the world.

There was only a short while to wait before the wives and girlfriends of the players were allowed on the ice. Tatyana congratulated some of Auston's teammates as she searched for him. She eventually found him, seemingly looking for her, too. When he spotted her he rushed towards her, wrapping his arms around her and lifting her arm. She began crying again, overcome by her emotions.

"I am so, so proud of you," she told him as he put her down.

"We did it," Auston said, grinning down at her. "We finally did it."

Tears fell again as she watched Mitch hand the Cup to Auston. He held it over his head as the fans cheered loudly at the sight. Like Tatyana, they had waited a long time to see this.

After the celebrations died down, the players went back to the locker room. Tatyana met Auston there, ready for a big announcement. She was going to tell him that she was pregnant with their first child.

Auston hugged her again when he saw her, the moments of the past hour or two still sinking in. Tatyana's heart raced as she played with the strings on the bag she held.

"I have something to tell you," she told Auston.

"Okay," he said, urging her to go on.

"Or show you, rather," she said, handing him the bag.

Confused, he took it, opening it and pulling out the clothing item inside. It was a small jersey with his number, 34, and the words 'Baby Matthews.' He looked up at her, eyes sparkling with hope. "Really?"

Tatyana nodded and Auston hugged her tightly, rocking back and forth. She grinned as she hugged him back.

"We're gonna be parents, Taty," he exclaimed as he pulled away, tears in her eyes.

"That we are, Auston," she told him. "And we're going to be damn good at it."

---------------------------

this is so short i'm sorryyy

11.09.17