Roommates (Sam Winchester x reader) AU

Your eyebrows drew together when you walked into your dorm room. Your roommate was sitting on his bed, his head in his hands. "Hey, Sam...what's up?" you asked cautiously. You and Sam were pretty close and you didn't want to upset him further. Sam glanced up at you and you could see that his hazel eyes were watering.

"The campus is emptying for the holidays," was all he said. You were confused. "Are you not going home for the break?" you asked and he shook his head. "No." You cast a look back at your own bag on the bed that was halfway packed already. "Why not? Won't your family miss you?" Once again, Sam shook his head. "No. I mean, my brother might, but he'll find his own amusements anyway."

"Can I ask why?" He gave a little shrug. "My mom died when I was little and my dad and I really don't get along. I didn't want to stick around and work in the family garage. It lead to a shouting match. I haven't been back since." You gave his shoulder a squeeze. "Everyone else is going home for the holidays, even you." You frowned. You suddenly felt guilty for leaving your roommate alone during such a festive time of year.

"Come home with me," you said. He looked up at you in surprise. "What?" You laughed lightly. "I said you should come with me. No one needs to be alone on the holidays and I know my mom wouldn't mind. In fact, I'll call her right now if you want." Sam shook his head vigorously, his long hair smacking him in the face. "I couldn't intrude like that." Rolling your eyes, you said, "It's not intruding if I invited you. Come on, Sam. You can't stay here by yourself."

After much arguing, Sam finally agreed to let you call your mother. And as you suspected she was more than happy to let Sam join you for the holidays. That was how you found yourself listening to some soft rock music with Sam sitting in the passenger's seat of your car. The drive seemed even shorter with your company. While you were roommates and fairly close, you hadn't had much chance to really talk with Sam about everyday life. By the time you pulled into the driveway of your childhood home, you felt you had known the man for your entire life.

"Here we are," you announced with an overly dramatic flourish. Sam chuckled and shook his head slightly. "You're ridiculous." You beamed at him. "Yeah, but you love me." You turned to grab the bags out of the trunk, missing the look on Sam's face. You heard the front door open. "Y/N!"

You dropped the bags as your mother practically barreled into you. "Hi, Mom." You smiled to yourself. While your relationship with her hadn't been perfect growing up, you always missed her while you were away at school. "Mom, this is Sam." Sam opened his mouth to greet her, but was cut off when she turned and wrapped her arms around him too. "She's a hugger," you told him with a shrug as you picked up the bags again.

"Well come on! Let's not stand outside all day. We'll get Sam set up in the guest room and then we'll eat!" You and Sam both laughed at your mother's enthusiasm before Sam turned to you. "Are you sure this is okay?" he whispered and you stared at him. "Seriously? Did you not see my mother's greeting? She's thrilled to have you here. Now come on before she comes back out and drags us inside and stuffs us with holiday cookies."

Sam and your mother got along easily, but you could still sense a sadness in Sam as the day went on. That was only confirmed later on when you overheard him on the phone. You were standing outside the door of the guest room to get him for dinner. "Hey...Dad. I just wanted to call and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I guess I'm not surprised you didn't answer the phone. Not after how we left things. Um, but don't worry about me. I'm staying with a friend for the holidays. Anyway, tell Dean I'm okay. Bye, Dad."

Your heart broke for your roommate. You had no idea it was that bad. Then, you heard him sniffle and decided to make your presence known. You knocked lightly on the door and opened it. "Sam? You okay?" He gave you a soft smile through his tears and nodded. "Yeah. It's just hard around the holidays. It might not be so bad if he at least answered the phone." You smiled at him and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.

"Well you know what? It's his loss. Now we are going to eat dinner and then pig out on candy while we watch some holiday movies!" you announced dramatically which made him laugh. "Sounds good. Let's go."

A couple hours later, you and Sam were sitting on your family's couch under a blanket watching movies. Sam had actually relaxed a little, chuckling along with you. "Thanks for this, Y/N," he said suddenly. "No problem, Sam. You're my best friend and roommate. I couldn't let you be alone for the holidays." Sam leaned over and hugged you. "Love you, Y/N." You smiled. "Love you too, Sam."