The Sun Meets the Sea pt. 1(Little Mermaid AU)

(part 1 of 2. It kinda got away from me a bit.)

Everyone knew when your father was angry. The seas would become unpredictable. Storms would rage and the ocean would take on an even more wild nature. And right now, King Crowley was furious. You had been swimming to the surface again, even under orders not to. You couldn't help it. You knew there had to be something more than your life under the sea. There just had to be and you were determined to find out.

You were swimming along, singing to yourself when you saw it. The shadow of a ship on the surface of the raging sea. The ship was not meant to be out in the storm and so, it didn't surprise you when it began to break apart. Several smaller boats appeared and you silently cheered at the fact that the humans had gotten away.

You started swimming away, your (f/c) tail propelling you forward. You knew you had to get back before Crowley realized you were gone again. You had made it a few feet from the shipwreck when it happened. A human, no two humans, sank under the rolling tide. Without stopping to think of the repercussions, you grabbed one of the them and swam up to the surface. Once you were sure he was balanced on a piece of driftwood, you swam back down and grabbed the other one.

You pulled the driftwood slowly behind you and swam toward the shore. You laid the two humans down on the wet sand and admired their beauty. One had longer, dark hair. He was tall. So tall, in fact, that you were surprised you'd been able to swim with him. The other had much shorter and lighter hair. He was shorter than the first and seemed to be a bit bulkier. They were both so handsome and you knew you'd be singing songs of their beauty for years to come.

The very thought encouraged you to start humming softly and then you started to sing. It was so soft and tender, it was almost a lullaby although it seemed to have the opposite effect. Both young men slowly opened their eyes. You were met with a pair of brilliant green eyes first before looking and seeing the sparkling hazel ones of the other man. You almost greeted them when you heard another voice calling out. "SAM! DEAN!" You silently panicked and dove back into the sea.

You watched from afar as the two men were greeted by a short man with a salt and pepper beard and one with black hair. "We're fine, Bobby," the taller boy was saying while the shorter one's gaze flitted in your direction. You quickly hid behind a rock. "Did you hear it, Sammy?" The taller one, Sam, looked at him. "Someone singing? A girl? Yeah. I heard it." Bobby sighed. "I think you two princely idjits swallowed too much sea water," he grumbled, ushering the two away.

You watched them leave with a grin on your face. You'd met two humans. Two human princes. Giggling, you dove into the water and swam down deep. As you swam, you knew you'd have to keep a straight face when you returned home or your father would know something was up. You didn't know that you had been followed, by the two people you thought were your friends.

You returned home to find a rather irate Crowley. "Daddy?" you asked, carefully. That was when you noticed your two friends floating behind your father's throne. "I've just had an interesting conversation with Meg and Ruby here." You cocked your head to the side. His voice was rather calm considering his posture told you that he was anything but. You much preferred him yelling. "They told me that you were swimming up to the surface again! And that you saved not one human, but two!"

You opened your mouth to argue, but your father would have none of it. "Silence! You disobeyed me, Y/N! Again! Meg and Ruby will be watching over you from now on!" You felt your bottom lip tremble. You just wanted him to understand, but you knew he never would. In that moment, you wanted nothing more than to leave the ocean, if only for a little while.

You didn't reply to your father. Instead, you swam away as fast as you could. You just needed to get away from him. For that moment or forever was a question you couldn't answer yet. "We were just trying to protect you, Y/N," Meg started and you glared at her. "Just leave me alone!" Meg and Ruby exchanged a glance. "I've got her. You go on," Ruby said. As soon as Meg was gone, Ruby turned to you. She gave you a Cheshire Cat grin and you narrowed your eyes. Ruby had always been the more mischievous of the two of them.

"What?" you asked her and she shrugged nonchalantly. "I was just thinking." You sighed, in no mood for her typical games. "About what?" Ruby swam closer to you and whispered, "I know how to get you what you want." You gaped at her. "What do you mean?" Another shrug from Ruby. "I know someone who can help you with your little human problem." You couldn't deny your curiosity. "Who?"

Ruby's grin widened. "Why, the sea witch of course." Your eyes widened. "You don't mean...Grandma Rowena..." Ruby confirmed it and you shook your head vehemently. "No! My father says she can't be trusted. I won't do that! Go away!" Ruby turned to swim away. "I was only trying to help, but I guess you'll just be stuck under Daddy's ocean forever." Closing your eyes, you called, "Wait. Take me to her."

Ruby looked back and gestured for you to follow her. You did with only a moment's hesitation. If this would get you what you wanted, it was worth your father's anger. Right? You followed Ruby to one of the darkest parts of the ocean where you knew Rowena had to be.

"Y/N, my dear granddaughter! Come in, come in. I haven't see ya since ya were a wee one!" Rowena's voice was sickly sweet, but you ignored that. You were here on a mission. "What can I do for my sweet one?" Rowena asked. "Grandmother, I...want to be near humans." Rowena blinked in surprise. "Humans? Why would anyone want to be around humans? They're terribly boring, dearie." You felt tears pricking your eyes. "I want to, Grandmother. I need to spend time with them. I need to know if they are as bad as my father says."

"Oh dear, they can be much worse," Rowena said, but regarded your expression carefully. "But, if you insist. I do know a spell that can help." You perked up. "Really? You do?" Rowena nodded. "Of course dear. I've had a talent for magic since I was wee lass. Now, are you sure this is really what you want?" You nodded. "Very well. Now, the spell I know will turn ya into a human for three days."

"Only three?" you cried, exasperated and Rowena chuckled. "Relax, child. There's more. If, by the time the sun sets on the third day, ya can get true love's kiss, the spell will become permanent. You'll be human forever." You fought back the urge to swim in circles. Then, something occurred to you. "And if I don't?" Rowena smiled. "Then, ya belong to me, dearie. You'll stay here forever." In all honesty, the idea frightened you, but you knew that magic had a price.

"Oh! And there is one more tiny thing. This spell requires a certain sacrifice. I'll need yer voice." You placed a hand to your throat. "My voice?" Rowena nodded. "It's the only way the spell will work." Your brows furrowed over your (e/c) eyes. "But how can I-" Rowena waved off your complaint. "Women have a language all their own, dear. So, do we have a deal?" It only took you a brief moment to agree to the terms.

You suddenly felt strange as the magic enveloped you. You could feel your voice being ripped from you before it suddenly became difficult to breathe. "Ya best start swimming, dearie!" You did as she asked, kicking your fins as fast as you could. As you swam toward the surface, you felt different. You briefly glanced down and saw that your tail was now a pair of legs. As difficult as it was, you continued swimming until you broke the surface.