Stay Alive

My nephew, Phillip, was staying with us until his parents sorted out what they were going to do. He was nineteen, and had a short temper. One day he came into my office, fuming.
  "What's wrong," I ask him, pulling off my glasses and setting them down.
"Eacker is speaking badly about father!" I look at him and sigh.
"Phillip, you need to learn how to ignore people, and what your father did was very wrong," I tell him in a crisp voice. He looks at me.  "You don't get it!" Typical teenager, I sigh.
  "Just don't do anything that will hurt you or your mother," he nods. He turns around. "I'm going to talk to father," he says. I sigh, and I feel my stomach sink. Alexander, please, don't do anything stupid, I tell myself.

  It's a while later when Thomas and Alexander burst into my office, making me jump. Alexander has tears in his eyes, and Thomas looks rattled. "Phillip," Alex's voice cracks, and I stand up abruptly. "He's been shot, he's dying," Thomas says, and I pause for a moment, before shoving past both of them and quickly making my way towards the field. I somehow know he would be there, and I was right.
  Thomas grabs me just in time to lower me onto the grass. Phillip is sitting there, gasping for breath. Eliza is holding his hand, and he finishes talking to her. She sees Alexander and makes her way over to him. I hear her yell, "DID YOU KNOW?!" And then I focus on Phillip.
  "Auntie, auntie Y/n, I'm so sorry, I should have listened to you. I'm so sorry," he's gasping for breath, and I regain my composure just long enough to talk to him.
  "You didn't do anything wrong, you were brave, you did good Phillip. I'm sorry that I didn't stop you, you did NOTHING wrong," my voice cracks as he takes his last few breaths. Eliza rushes over by my side, and she holds his hand as I stroke his hair, both of us telling him that he did great, and that we love him.
  Then he stops taking shallow breaths, and his body goes limp. Eliza lets out a cry of anguish as my body shakes. I look back a moment to see Thomas keeping Alexander from rushing over. I turn back to Eliza and I grasp her hand.  I hold her, silent tears gushing down my face.

Why couldn't I have stopped him?