¢нαρтєя тωєηту тωσ - ѕєℓƒιѕн ∂є¢ιѕισηѕ

"I'm here, I'm here!" I shouted, running into the classroom, my hair in a mess, small bags under my eyes.

As the teacher glared at me, I made my way to my seat between Tobias and Veronica, two of the people I had befriended since I had started school.

"Where were you?" Ver asked, looking at me in horror.

"I overslept... Didn't have time to properly get ready,"

Total lie, but I wasn't going to admit I had spent the last thirty six hours flying.

Even if you did, they wouldn't believe you.

"And what about yesterday? Uni and Elsa said they had no idea where you were. Neither did Cameron, and to be honest, I think he likes you, 'cause he was super depressed," Tobias asked, sending me a kissing like face.

"He doesn't like me, and even if he did, I don't," I muttered, trying to deny the feelings I knew I had, but couldn't acknowledge for both our sakes.

"Yeah, sure, keep telling yourself that. So, where were you?"

"Ill, at home," I lied smoothly.

Both of them nodded simultaneously, their eyebrows furrowed as they concentrated on the piece of paper the teacher had just passed out.

Looking down at my own sheet, I realised it was an exam.

Oh, how I missed school, I thought sarcastically, taking a pen out and starting to answer the questions.

"Alueda, where the hell did you go yesterday?" Cameron whispered in my ear, trying not to cause a big commotion in the corridor.

I had just finished the exam, and to be honest, it was pretty easy.

"I went for a walk," I said casually, not really wanting to blow my cover, since all the students were currently speed walking down the hallway, rushing to their next class.

"And you didn't think of telling anyone? Do you have any idea how worried I was?"

My heart melted at his words,a smile tugging on my lips as I fought back the urge to pout my lips in fondness.

Get your head in the game! You can't fall for him, you need to catch the bad dancers, and then you won't see him again!

"I sent a message to home," Was my curt reply.

It wasn't that I wanted to be mean, but I did need to start distancing myself, because as much as I hated it, we would never work. I needed to forget he even existed, keep on flying through life without stopping for anyone.

I was an experiment, I didn't deserve love.

And even if I did get it, I didn't need it.

I was an independent woman that didn't need anything from anyone.

"Oh, okay. Next time maybe let your friends know?"

I could tell he was angry, but I couldn't do anything about it.

"Yeah, sure,"

A look of hurt flashed over his face, before it was replaced by nothing, all his feelings hidden from sight.

"What was that about?" Elsu and Ungeld suddenly appeared on either side of me, both looking concerned.

I looked at his retreating figure, "He's mad I didn't tell him I was staying at home,".

They both nod in understanding, but before they can say anything, the warning bell rings, making all three of us split up and go to our rightful classes.

I felt sad, as if a part of me was broken, worn out. And I didn't like it.

I wasn't used to having emotional ties. I mean, up until now, my only friends had always been Ungeld and Elsu, and then Hanura and Mavwu had appeared in the picture a couple of years later. Sure, I was acquaintances with most of the other scientific projects at CARESS, but it wasn't the same. We all knew, that although we played and talked, we couldn't tie ourselves to each other, since we were from different branches, and at any point they could cut the project off, killing any and all the subjects.

Sometimes I wonder how my life would be if I hadn't had wings, if my father hadn't died, if my mother hadn't died.

Would I go to a normal school? Would I have normal friends? Would I get good grades? Would I have a boyfriend?

I would never know, because even if I did imagine it and was living it in a way, I wouldn't be me without my past. So I would just be another normal teenage girl, nothing special, nothing unique.

"Hey, Alu! How did the maths exam go?" Veronica suddenly appeared next to me, her brown bag half open due to the amount of books she was carrying.

"It went well. Yours?" I asked politely, not really in the mood to chat.

"Oh my God! It was so hard! I mean, the second and seventh exercise? I left them in blank. And apart from the first, sixth and tenth, I have no idea if I did the rest correctly. I'm so not going to pass this trimestre," she cried, a look of fear crossing her face.

See? That would be the kind of girl I would be, I thought.

"I'm sure you'll pass... Anyway, I'm in a hurry, catch you tomorrow?"

"Sure!"

I wasn't really in a hurry, but unlike Elsu, I wasn't good around people, especially if I was having a bad day myself.

"Hello!" I shouted the moment I reached the house, my voice echoing through the empty house.

Strange, Ivy and Claudia are normally here by now.

"Hello?"

Cameron.

"Oh... Hi,"

I didn't like this, I didn't like acting as if I didn't care, as if he was a nuisance in my life.

"Where were you really yesterday?"

"Well, I got a call about a shark attack, so I saved a couple of very sassy and rude ladies and got back just in time for school. I had to go, they called me, and I'm sorry for not telling you, but it was a last minute thing,"

It wasn't good to lie, but despite the fact that our friendship could literally get him killed, I was going to be selfish, I was going to put my emotions above is life, even if it was only for the next month and a half, until the moment we captured the people that had tried to kill him.

Then, I would disappear, even if it broke me in two, even if I knew I would hurt him more.

"It's fine... So, we're good?"

"Absolutely," I answered, winking, "want to watch a film?"