¢нαρтєя тнιяту тняєє - кιѕѕ мє

"Good to see you again, Lacertosus, Neddicky!" The director shouted over the loud noise of the helicopter, jumping off the still flying vehicle, and walking towards us, a giant grin on her face.

"She seems happy," I whispered, holding onto my hoodie.

"Maybe she's engaged?"

Sometimes I wondered what the hell went through that boy's mind.

"Okay! Have you found out who 'Lord' is yet? Oh, and I was talking to someone on the phone, and they told me Mavwu would be fine, that Elsu is acting like a student, Hanura is with Mavwu, Ungeld was sent to look after you, and you were waking up from your crazy moment,"

Crazy moment?

Looking at Ungeld in perplexion, he whispered, standing right behind me, "When you went Maleficent mode and knocked all the guys out in literally less than five minutes,"

Oh.

"Yes, we have figured out who the 'Lord' is. His name is Elliot Spanshu, and he's Cameron's dad," After a moment of hesitation, I begun talking again, trying to keep our meeting as professional as possible, "I'm not sure if you want to bring him into the autoview and interview him to find out if he knew anything, but, personally, I highly doubt he did,".

I hadn't meant to let the last part slip.

Fuck!

Smiling, the director nodded, "Knowing you and your judgement, I'll let him stay away from that van. Wouldn't want him getting hurt now, would we?"

I knew she was a nice woman, but sometimes, she could say some things in such a manner it just made you imagine the worst case scenario. I guess that was good in her particular working position, since she had to predict any and every outcome of major events and missions.

"So, now that my job here is done, do I have to go back to CARESS?" I asked, trying to hide my nervousness.

Looking around her, she seemed to be deep in thought, her usual hard eyes staring at the building some students were still trudging slowly from, her face softening as a couple came out, holding on tight to each other, the boy crying in the arms of his girlfriend.

"How about..." She started, falling back into silence almost instantly.

This conversation was starting to get on my nerves, the way she kept looking up, and then suddenly staring back into the distance, opening and closing her mouth like a fish, was starting to make me angry and impatient.

"Calm down, she's playing you," Ungeld whispered, barely loud enough for me to hear him, let alone the director.

"Right... So I should just stand here, and wait for her to decide? That could take hours..." I moaned, already expecting the worst.

Maybe she's deciding how to tell you that they are putting you down?

I hope not.

"Okay, I know what we are going to do with you!" She seemed to be functional again, her eyes shining, her posture no longer released, but a reminder of the spy she had once been, the deathly human that laid underneath the smart clothes and golden earrings. "You are going to stay here!"

"Wait, what?" Ungeld shouted, not fully understanding what she had said.

I'm staying here, with Cameron?

"Your job was to stay here and protect Cameron and his family from the threat, that turns out was his father, but that doesn't mean there aren't other people out there ready to exert their revenge on Elliot, and what better way than to hurt his family?"

She had thought this through, then.

My mind was spinning, the fact that she was letting me stay was overwhelming.I screwed up my eyes and looked at her with delight. Maybe she saw me as more than an asset, and more like a colleague.

"Thank you," I whisper, tears threatening to spill as I hug her, my unusual action making her stiffen for a few moments before returning me the hug.

"You've earned it,"

I have to admit, this story has taken me a LONG time to finish, and although I'm quite happy with the ending, I know I can do better. For now though, I will leave it like this, and if - when - I have time and the energy, I will rewrite the whole story. This is my first draft, after all! 

- Phoe