Move In Day

Harry's POV

Fuck, people are unfriendly here, I thought. 

I was sitting on my bed thinking about how someone had flipped me off as I crossed the street, and how the person next to me in the elevator didn't respond when I said hello. 

It was my first time ever in New York and I was starting to wonder if I had made the right decision. 

NYU's Music and Performing Arts school was one of the most prestigious in the world, and when I got in, I automatically accepted. But maybe reputation wasn't all there was to it. 

So far, I wasn't having the best time in "the best city in the world." 

I got up and grabbed a packet of crisps to snack on while I waited for my roommate, Niall to arrive. 

He had texted me that he was coming at 5pm and I assumed he would want to get tea together, so I didn't want to eat anything just yet. Now it was 5:30 and I was really getting hungry. 

I hopped back onto my bed and picked up my guitar, strumming a few strings lazily as I looked at myself in the mirror. I'm in fucking New York, I thought to myself, smiling a little. 

A knock at the door quickly interrupted my daydream of performing in Madison Square Garden, and I jumped up off the bed, tripping and nearly smashing my guitar. 

Fuck, Harold, I thought. You're going to make a bloody great impression if you fall all over yourself like this. 

"Just a minute," I called, setting down the guitar. I ran to the door and opened it slowly, to find a brunette of medium height standing in front of me.

I was a little confused because he had blonde hair in all his photos, but they were rather dated, so I guess he dyed it. 

Niall's eyes were bluer than they had been in the photo too, and his Irish accent was more profound than I had expected. 

But to be honest, it was just nice to have someone from Europe here with me--even if they weren't from England. I had a feeling we would hit it off just fine. 

"Hey, Niall," I said, giving him a hug. Maybe New York wasn't the most friendly place, but I sure wasn't going to let it ruin my manners. 

"'Sup mate," Niall replied, patting me on the back. "It's nice to finally meet you. What's the room look like?"

My face lit up as I led Niall inside. "It's actually quite big," I said. It really was -- way bigger than I expected at least. 

The room had two dressers and two twin beds, with a large span of space in between the beds. There was a closet next to the door, and a sink next to the closet. 

"There's a sink, but no loo?" Niall said, laughing. "That's odd." 

I laughed. "Yeah, I asked someone about that. They said it's so you can brush your teeth without having to walk to the bathroom. The bathroom's down the hall--it's communal. Hope you brought shower shoes," I said. 

Damn, Harry, I thought, after finishing my explanation. Slow down. You seem way too excited. 

Despite my fear, Niall didn't seem to mind. In fact, it seemed like he talked a lot too. 

"Well that's proper weird mate. I thought we'd have a bathroom," he said. "And fuck, I don't have shower shoes. Who the hell wears shoes in the shower?"

I laughed. "You can borrow mine. Trust me, you'll need them." 

"Alright, well I'm going to go down to the car. My parents are waiting with my stuff. We had to buy it all at Walmart. I guess I'm a true American now," Niall said. 

"I'll come help," I said, a little too quickly. I really had to tone it down on the eagerness....

"Alright, sure," Niall said. And we headed downstairs together.