Dinner

Harry's point of view

"You hungry, Haz?" Niall asked, clicking his pen as he sat at his desk. "I'm about to go grab a late night snack."

"Wow," I said, laughing. "I was literally just about to ask you the same exact thing."

It was crazy how in sync Niall and I were with each other. Even though we took mostly different classes--aside from Intro to Music--we woke up at the same time and had really similar habits. We both showered in the morning, never skipped breakfast, and ate snacks really late at night.

"Perfect, let's go then," Niall said, tossing his notebook on his desk and making an explosion sound with his mouth as he jumped off the bed.

"Stop being a child," I said, giggling at him. "Stop being a childddd," Niall repeated in a super high pitched British accent. "Oh, that's exactly what I sound like," I replied, shooting him a dirty look and locking up the door.

We started walking across the hallway and down the stairs in pursuit of burgers and fries— or whatever American food was awaiting us at the 24-7 cafe. "What are you craving?" Niall asked. "A burger or a hot dog? Or Frenched Fries?"

I burst out laughing, elbowing Niall in the side. "It's French fries, you goon," I said. "I don't know why they call them that though— they're not even French."  Niall giggled and punched me in the leg. I jumped backwards and kicked him in slow motion, nearly falling on top of him in the process.

As we trekked across campus, I began to take in my scenery. Taxis and cars whizzed around on the street beside us, and the skyscrapers sparkled in the midnight sky (reference ;)). It was so beautiful at night here in the city that never sleeps. But something about it seemed a bit too good to be true. 

"Time for French fries," Niall said, walking up to the queue once we got inside the restaurant. Surprisingly, despite how empty campus had seemed outside, it was packed in here. People were buzzing left and right, trying to get something to eat after a late night of studying.

I got in the queue behind Niall and tried to decide what I wanted. I felt too overwhelmed to read the whole menu, which was mostly an array of different types of fried meats, so I went with a cheeseburger and fries because you can never go wrong with that. Niall decided upon a spicy chicken sandwich and fries with a coke.

"I'd like a cheeseburger and fries please," I said when it was my turn. "Oh my god, you're British," the server said, looking up at me in astonishment after I placed my order. This wasn't the first time this had happened. Since Niall and I had arrived, people had been freaking out over our accents—usually in a positive way. And at first I found it endearing, but now it was starting to get on my nerves.

"Yeah, he is man. Watchu gon' do about it?" Niall said to the server, using the most exaggerated New York accent possible. The server gave us a weird look before leaving to get my burger. I flashed Niall a sneaky smile and slapped hands. 

"Where shall we sit, Prince Harry?" Niall asked in his default British accent, after we each got our trays of food. I scanned the room to find an open seat, looking for a booth rather than a two seater because it's always nice to have a little more room. That's when I saw him— Louis, sitting by himself, eating a burger and scrolling on his phone. He was wearing a black beanie and a leather jacket, which made him look absolutely sexy. 

"Hey, Lou!" I shouted, walking over to him. He didn't see me at first, but then I started waving and he shot me a smirk that appeared both annoyed and pleasantly surprised.

"God damn it, fresher," Louis said, looking up at me with his blue eyes and flashing a half smile. "Are you going to write my name in the sky too? Screaming my name across the cafe isn't enough?"

I beamed at Louis, turned on by how sassy and witty he was. "No, I'm just going to make a billboard next time. 'Sad boi Louis. Come say hi.'" Louis raised an eyebrow at me, and then looked up at Niall who was standing awkwardly behind me. "Hey, Niall," he said, breaking the sexual tension. "Hey, Louis," Niall replied. "Wanna sit with us?"

I swear I saw Louis almost smile— the corners of his mouth began to lift and his eyes crinkled, but it quickly transformed into a frown. "No, thanks," he said. "I'm off to bed, soon."

"Come on, you're barely finished with your burger. Just sit with us for like 10 minutes. We're all going back to the same place anyways," I said, trying to figure out why Louis was so hesitant to eat with us. His attitude said that it was because we were just lowly freshers, but his body language said it was something more than that.

"Alright. But just this once. I don't want people to think I'm a fresher," he said, pretending to look around suspiciously.

Louis grabbed his tray and followed Niall and I to an empty booth in the back. It was a dark blue color, with green seats, which is pretty tacky if you ask me. But it really made Louis' eyes pop.

"So how are your Frenched fries, Niall? Are they everything you hoped and dreamed of?" I asked, jokingly. Niall popped one in his mouth and chewed it dramatically as if he were on a cooking show. Then his eyes lit up and he stared into space. "Oh... my... oh my god. They're bloody amazing!" he cried.

"And this is why y'all go to music school and not acting school," scoffed Louis, crunching on a fry of his own. "Y'all?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Wow someone's American AF," Niall burst out, breaking off into a valley girl accent when he said AF. We all snickered at that one.

"Nah, just something I picked up here. I think it's silly the way they talk here. Way too casual. But anyways, how are classes going? Did that intro to music professor bore you to death yet or what?" Louis inquired, furrowing his brows together. 

Niall's eyes almost bugged out of his head. "Oh my god I was thinking the same thing— she is the worst," he replied, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"The worst is an understatement," said Louis. "You have no idea what she—" Suddenly, Louis stopped talking and looked up at the door, as if in a trance. A group of guys with (American) football jackets were walking into the cafe, and Louis made eye contact with one, nearly freezing on the spot.

"I—um. I have to go," said Louis, quickly getting up out of the booth and dashing to the exit. "Left something important at the library," he muttered over his shoulder.

But Niall and I both knew that wasn't true....
*******
Author's note: Okay, ahhh. The Narry bromance is like the cutest thing ever I love writing their dialogue. Also, sorry for holding out for so long but you're finally going to see in the next chapter why Louis is so bitter and closed off!!! Sorry for the wait, it just took a bit of setting up to get it right.