Dinner.

I felt a lot better after telling Rachel. She was there for me and I was actually calm, not feeling depressed anymore. It was like a ton of weight fell from my heart and my mind. It's so nice to know that you have someone that supports you and helps you through everything.

"Rachel, Chloe, dinner is ready!" came from downstairs. "Do I look like I just have cried?" - "Nah, you look pretty fine. You're lucky that you don't wear any make-up normally, otherwise, your face would be a mess right now. But you'd still look hot," Rachel assured me. I smiled. "I freaking love you, Rachel." - "You better! Just kidding. I love you, too, Chloe." We shared a peck on the lips before going downstairs.

"Hey there, kiddo," Mr. Amber greeted Rachel. "Heya, dad. How was work?" - "I'll tell you in a few. Let's sit down first. Oh, and hi Chloe," Mr. Amber gave me his hand and I accepted his handshake. "Hello, Mr. Amber." I hated this weird tension, not knowing what to say. Not even sure if I should say something because I was actually afraid that I'll say something that'll piss him off. So I just sat down. Rachel sat in between me and her dad, Rose was sitting in front of me. Rose made some fancy ass chicken for dinner and I have to say, it looked absolutely delicious. We all took something on our plates and dig in. I actually would have liked some beer instead of water but I'll go with it nevertheless.

James then spoke up. "Work was actually the usual, like always. Nothing interesting happened. Well, I have a new client and his life has been tough, lately. He used to take drugs and he's owing a lot of money to his dealer. He's been threatened a lot for it. But he decided on not paying any of it. That's why he showed up. He wants to put his dealer in jail. We can actually win this if he won't back out off it because his dealer is well known, at least to the police. But yeah, that's all. How was school?" - "The usual," Rachel said. Well, some good conversations right here!

"What are your plans after school, Chloe?" Rose asked me. Well, even though that's the lamest question you can ask, I'm happy that at least Rose wants to talk to me. "I'm not sure, yet. I'm deciding between going to university or open a garage. I'm pretty good with cars." - "Take your time, you still have plenty of it to decide," Rose smiled at me. I just nodded.

"How did you two meet when I can ask that? I mean you're going to the same school, I know but she didn't mention you before 1 week or so," James asked me and Rachel. "I used to don't like Rachel, to be honest. She was the normal, popular girl everyone loves and everyone wants to be with her. That was until the concert. She showed a completely different side of her, a caring side. And we're stuck together ever since. Now I couldn't think of a better person on my side," I smiled at Rachel. She slightly blushed, taking my hand in hers. Talking about her makes my stomach full of butterflies and that shit. "I hope you take good care of her. I'm not used to Rachel actually dating girls but I'm also not a homophobe. As long as it makes Rachel happy, it's fine with me," James said. Woah, maybe he isn't that much of an asshole? "I will, thanks, Mr. Amber. If only my stepdad would think like that." - "Well, he is your stepfather. You decide how far you'll let him decide your life. So if you don't like his attitude or something, then don't let him. Don't get angry, mad or even sad, just tell him in a serious tone that you don't care about his opinion and that this is your life. To get homophobes actually agreeing on a homosexual relationship is something that'll never really work, as much as you try." - "I see." That was actually a really nice conversation.

"Rachel, you've been so quiet," Rose stated. "Well, yeah. I didn't want to interrupt this conversation, it's really surprising to hear dad talk like this!" she laughed. "What's that supposed to mean?" James asked her with a slight laugh. "First, I've never heard you talking about queer topics before and second, Chloe is the first friend of mine you're giving advice to on the first day." - "Now that you're saying it, it's true. But I see how much she cares about you and that she's indeed good for you. You're reminding me of Rose and me." Oh, wow. Mr. Amber starts to get sensitive. And Rose is as red as a tomato. It's cute to see that he can still make her blush after the years of marriage they've been through.

We cleaned up the table and I helped Rose with the dishes. Rachel was having some conversation about a project at school with her dad. "Not to be rude or something but I'm sure my mom wants me to be home tonight," I said after finishing the dishes. "You can come by anytime you want. Oh, and it's James," he said. "I'm actually going with her, see you tomorrow?" said Rachel. It was more like a fact than a question. "I'm fine with that, see you tomorrow then," Rose told her.

Woah, never expected the evening to be actually nice. Even though I and James had our problems at first, we warmed up to each other. Her parents are pretty chill.

I enjoyed the drive to my home with some loud music, the windows down and my hand on Rachel's thigh whenever my hand wasn't on the gearshift.

A/N: Let's just pretend James is actually a nice person and the right-in-front-of-my-salad table crash scene never happened, alright?