A Different Perspective

After Ty left, I spent three hours in my room, sleeping. When I woke up, it was quiet, and I looked around the house. Everyone was gone. I was about to call Lauren, when I noticed a note on the bar counter. It read: hey girl! We went to get food, Sam wanted us to wake you up, but I knew you'd kill us. We don't really know where we're going, so see you in a few hours or so. Love ya!

I couldn't help but grin, thankful that she didn't let Sam wake me up. I looked around the kitchen, and sighed. I loved it here in Detroit with my friends and brother, but I missed my mom like crazy. Sitting on a bar stool, I dialed my mom's number and waited. She picked up on the 3rd ring. "Hey Lynn," she said. Her voice made me homesick, and I couldn't speak, in fear that I'd start crying. My mom must've known something was wrong, because she sighed softly. "Talk to me, honey. What's going on?" I smiled and sighed. "I miss you, and I just don't want to lose Drew and Emma hasn't talked to me in a long time and I wish that I wasn't such a little girl and-" my mom cut me off with her laughter. I groaned and rolled my eyes, as I waited for her to stop laughing. Finally, she took a deep breath. "Lynn, slow down," she said gently. "You're moving too fast. Take a minute and just breath." I closed my eyes and took several slow deep breaths before speaking. "I'm sorry. I guess I just needed someone to talk to. I wish that I mattered to someone." my mom laughed again. "Honey, you matter to a lot of people, okay?" her voice was stern, and I swallowed. "You mean the world to Drew, and if it wasn't for you, he would've stopped fighting already. I think the real problem is that you're losing sight of who you really are. You don't have to be the hero of everyone's story." she said softly. I sighed again. "What do you want me to do? Tell Drew that it's okay if he dies?" I asked, getting angry and confused. There was a slight pause before my mom spoke. "I don't know baby, that's for you to figure out. You need to keep what's left of your true self before it's all gone. Because I know a girl who used to put the color inside my world. And I'd do anything to have my little girl back." And with that, she hung up. I sighed and closed my eyes. I was losing myself, and I didn't know what to do. I clenched my fists and tried to stay in control. Before I could freak out there was a sudden knock on the door, and I opened it. My jaw dropped when I saw it was Blake. "What are you doing here?" I asked softly. He grinned. "It's good to see you too," he teased. I smiled and rolled my eyes motioning him inside. "Sorry, It's been a long day," I explained. He nodded and ran his fingers through his thick hair. "I visited Drew today," he said slowly. I smiled and leaned against him as we walked towards the big sectional and sat down. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I sighed gratefully as I laid my head on his shoulder. We sat there in silence for a while, until I shivered. He laughed. "Finally, you realize that Detroit is cold." he joked. I laughed and watched as he stood up, moving to the fire place. 

 10 minutes later, he'd started a fire, and we were talking quietly as we snuggled on the couch. "Favorite quote?" I asked. He wrinkled his nose, and I laughed softly. After thinking about it for a while, he finally answered. "Fine. My favorite quote, I don't know who wrote it, but I was comforting my sister one night, and she was on Pinterest, and I saw this quote. It said: 'Will it be easy? Nope. Will it be worth it? Absolutely.' I smiled and nodded. He paused before continuing. "I mean, for me, it was basically a mental thing, you know? I mean in football I hate the hardcore workouts coach makes us do. But it's always worth it in the end." he explained. I raised an eyebrow. "Basketball, baseball, and football?" I said. He laughed and blushed slightly. "Yeah, I... I like sports," he said sheepishly. I giggled and rolled my eyes. "So do I," I replied softly. We were silent as we watched the flames in the fireplace dance, and I sighed contently. Suddenly, I thought of something. "Hey! Why are you in Detroit?" I asked curiously. He bit his lip and looked away. "I'm on a college visit," he finally said with a sigh. I looked up at him, and saw the sparkle fall away in his eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked gently. He sighed and gave me a small smile. "I guess, I don't know," he chuckled, and I smiled at him. He ran his fingers through his hair and groaned. "I feel like everything's gone by way too fast. I mean, it's always been my dream to attend a school in Detroit. But now that it's actually happening, I feel like I just want everything to take a time out, you know?" I nodded. I did know what he was talking about. Drew and I had a conversation about this exact same thing awhile ago. A thought hit me, and I bit my lip. It was kind of crazy how easy it was to talk to Blake, and how much I'd already spilled to him, things that I'd only ever told Drew. The door opened, and voices filled the room. I smiled and stood up. "Thanks for coming over," I said softly to Blake. He grinned and nodded. "Anytime you need me, I'll be there, Brooklyn."