Talking to Matt

I hurried away from Ty's car completely confused. He liked me? I bit my lip as I hurried up the stairs and into the building. Before I could even get to my locker, someone tapped me from behind. I turned around, and my jaw dropped as I saw it was Matt. He swallowed and ran his fingers through his short hair. "Hey, uhm, hey Brook, can we talk?" he asked nervously. I bit my lip and took a deep breath. "Sure, I mean, I have to stop at my locker first," I rambled. Wincing, I turned back around and walked quickly to my locker. Matt leaned against the locker beside me and waited until I'd closed the door. Finally, I turned to him. "So, what do you want to talk about?" I asked nervously. Matt sighed and bit his lip. "I'm sorry, I was a bitch, no I was even worse because I was a mean bitch," he said quickly. I couldn't help smiling. "Matt, I heard your apology in class, remember?" I said softly. He nodded. "I know, but then I remembered how much you hate attention, and I felt like an idiot," he said blushing. This time, I laughed, and he smiled. "I was in love with you Brooklyn, I swear every single moment we spent together meant everything to me, it wasn't for nothing," he continued. I nodded and touched his arm lightly. "Matt, I know. Trust me, I heard about what happened with your dad a few weeks later, and I'm sorry," I said gently. 

Hearing the news about how his dad was in jail for abusing his two kids and his wife, made me feel so self centered, since all I could think about was how he let me go. He sucked in a sharp breath. "I didn't want you to get mixed up in everything, and I didn't want to hurt you more than I did," he said softly. I nodded slowly and he wrapped his arms around me. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he whispered into my hair. I smiled against his chest and pulled away slowly. I looked up at him, and saw that his gaze was on something behind me. Turning slowly, I saw Tyler standing there with his fists clenched. I swallowed hard, and moved away from Matt quickly. "Ty, we were just talking," I said quickly. Ty ran his fingers through his hair slowly, keeping his eyes locked on mine. I'm not sure what hurt the most, him not saying anything, or the pain in his eyes. Finally he took a deep breath. "Do you know how fucked up I feel right now?" he asked softly. "I told the girl I was in love with how I felt about her, not knowing that she was still in love with her ex." I shook my head as I heard his voice breaking. "Ty, no please. I'm not in love with him still, we... we were just talking," I said biting back my tears. Ty gave me a weak smile before turning around. I watched as he walked away, knowing that this was the end. I'd hurt him, plain and simple. Lately these days it seemed as I hurt every guy I was around. Every other time I knew how to fix it. But this time, I wasn't sure if this was something that could be fixed.