It's Always Gonna Be You

"I miss you so much Drew," I whisper placing flowers on his tombstone. I sink to my knees in the wet dirt as rain falls and thunder crashes. Suddenly, there's a loud noise, and the stone moves, and Drew rises out of the ground. His eyes are empty and black, his skin rotting. He reaches towards me and a low moan comes out of his mouth. "You did this to me!" he wails. "You didn't save me. You are nothing but a coward!"

I sat up in bed gasping for breath, and my door burst open. Sam hurried to my side gripping my shoulders and hugging me to him. After taking several deep breaths, I looked up at him. "What...what are you doing in here?" I whispered. He sighed, pain in his eyes. "You were screaming," he explained softly. I swallowed hard as I thought of the dream I just had. "It was about Drew," I told sam. He nodded, as if he knew without me telling him. "Maybe this wasn't a good idea after all," he said after a pause. "Maybe you should go back home to live with-" I cut him off. "Sam, that's not going to happen, and you know it." I said firmly. He rolled his eyes and sighed. We were quiet for a while, until I spoke. "You know how mom's always telling us how proud dad would be of us, and that we're growing up too fast?" I asked. He nodded, and raised his eyebrow. " I think I understand what she means now. Sometimes it seems like yesterday when I was a little girl, and now, I'm living on my own, and about to go to college." Sam chuckled, and nodded. "I get it. It's the oldest story in the world. One day you're 8, and planning for someday, and then suddenly, without you really noticing it, someday is today, and someday is yesterday and it's like, woah, this is my life now," he explained. I nodded and sighed. "I'm already freaking out that I'm going to lose everyone that used to be close to me, you know? I mean when you left for college, I thought that I'd never see you again," I admitted. Sam laughed, and I pretended to glare at him. He became serious, and looked me straight in the eye. "Hey, Lynn if you are alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll always be your shoulder. If you're not happy, I will be your smile, and whenever you need me, I'll be there, okay? No questions asked." he kissed my forehead lightly before standing up. "I love you Lynn," he said quietly, before walking out of my room, and closing the door gently behind him. I sighed, and got out of bed. After stretching, I sat on the window seat and snuggled against the soft pillows. As I looked out the window, I realized that this, this was my new life. This was where I belonged and no matter what happened, I'd always have my people with me. Well, most of my people I thought to myself. I closed my eyes and took a slow, deep breath. It was time for me to start living my best life now, because who knew when It would all be over?