Daddy's Book

"Thanks for coming with me," Blake said as I hopped into the car. I grinned and shrugged. "You didn't really give me a choice," I replied. He laughed and then smirked. "I guess I was a little harsh," he said. I snorted. "A little harsh? You think that saying, 'if you don't come, I'll kill you,' is a little harsh?" I exclaimed. Blake didn't respond because he was laughing too hard, and I stuck my tongue out at him, which just made him laugh harder. Rolling my eyes I turned away from him and rested my feet on the dashboard. We drove in comfortable silence for a while, until I remembered something. "What school are we visiting?" I asked turning to look at him. He swallowed, and turned red. "Uhm, I don't know," he mumbled. I raised my eyebrows at him, and he smiled sheepishly. "Wayne," he finally replied. My jaw dropped, and he shifted uncomfortably. I decided to drop the subject, when something else popped into my head. "Hey! Do you want to hear another song I wrote?" I asked. He grinned. "Of course I do Bumble Bee," he said. Ignoring the nickname, I grabbed my bag and took out my songbook, opening it to a random page. After taking a deep breath, I began to sing.

Mirror, mirror on the wall

Who is the fairest of them all?

Or maybe it's monster, monster inside of me

Tell me tell me what you see

Rip me apart

Tear me to shreds

Make me a prisoner

Inside my own head

Tell me what I am

Oh, and tell me what I'm not

Tell me what I need

Tell me what I've got

Because you, yeah you

You bring out my tears

My sadness and fears

You bring out my aggression

You cauze me a lot of envy

And cause me with depression

Deprive me of my confidence

Take away my self estere

Cause me to fear judgment

And make me yell and scream

You taunt me with your words

Like it's some kind of game

But when it comes down to it

There's no one else to blame

This villain isn't a creature

Or a devil sent from hell

It isn't a witch, or demon

The villain is myself

I try to fight it, but it won't stop

It's never gonna cease

It's a liar, it's meanI

I'm the beauty and the beast

There's a villian in every story

A statement that is true

But how do you kill the monster

When it lives inside of you?

When I finished, I noticed that we were parked in Wayne's parking lot, and Blake was watching me with tears on his cheeks. I sucked in a breath. "Shit, Blake, I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry. I knew it wasn't good, but I thought that at least-" he cut me off with a small chuckle. After he wiped his eyes, he looked over at me. "Damn, Brooklyn," he said gently. I blushed and bit my lip. "What?" I whispered. I swallowed as I realized I was also crying. "That song," he said slowly, "it could make my dad cry, and he never cries. Where did you learn to write like that?" he asked. I laughed, and shrugged. " I mean, my dad always sang to me when I was a little girl, I said holding out my songbook. It was then that Blake seemed to realize how worn the book was, and he smiled. "This is your dad's?" he asked taking it carefully from me. I swallowed back tears and nodded. "Well, it was my dads," I replied. His eyes filled with emotion and he sighed. "I'm sorry, Brook," he said. I smiled. "It's okay, he died when I was little, I don't really remember much about him, honestly," I lied, avoiding his eyes. He nodded and studied my face for a minute. Sighing, he handed the book back to me, I put it in my bag and then grinned. "Now come on, Mr. Ivy League," I teased. "It's time for your college visit,"