Rooftop Tears

"So let me get this straight," Emma said on the way to Lauren's house. "Austin promised Lauren that he wouldn't miss the ceremony. But he's going to be breaking that promise and Lauren's heart, because he all of a sudden isn't going?" I nodded as I pulled my SUV up to the curb. "Lauren will be crushed." I groaned as we walked towards the front doors. Emma nodded, and knocked on the door. A few moments later, Lauren opened it and hugged us both. There were tears in her eyes, and I swallowed. "Austin isn't coming to graduation," she whispered. I sighed and hugged her tightly before closing the door behind us. "I know, that's why he called." I admitted. She nodded and lead us up the stairs. Instead of heading to her room like we usually would, she led us up another staircase, one that I didn't even know existed. All three of us were silent as we followed her. When we got to the top, she opened the door, and my eyes widened when I saw we were on the roof. She smiled quickly at us and walked out onto the rooftop. Emma groaned. "I better not ruin these shoes," she grumbled. I rolled my eyes. "Our friend needs us, Emma, so stop worrying about your shoes and get your butt up here." I demanded. I turned back around and joined Lauren. It surprised me that I'd never been up here before. Lauren was sitting on the part of the roof over her garage, and I smiled as I saw she'd set up blankets and pillows. After snuggling into the blankets, I wrapped my arm around my friend. She smiled at me, and sniffed. "I'm a mess right now," she said, laughing softly. I chuckled and squeezed her shoulder before pulling it away. "I think we all are," I looked up and smiled at Emma as she spoke. "I mean, this is our last weekend together before we graduate. Crying now is inevitable." Lauren sighed and scooched so Emma could sit on the other side of her. After getting situated in the nest of blankets and pillows, we looked up at the dark sky. It was silent for a while, until Lauren giggled. "Remember in fourth grade, when we learned the different constellations, and we begged our parents to let us go camping?" she asked. I laughed. "We sat on top of the camper pretending that we knew where freaking Orion was." I added. Emma grinned. "And then we made up nerdy astronomy names for each other." We continued to laugh for a while until we fell into another comfortable silence. Suddenly, Emma sighed loudly. "Guys, I know that we've had enough deep conversations, especially over the past few months, but do you think we could talk? I mean, about everything we've been through." I nodded, and Lauren closed her eyes. Slowly, she turned towards me. "Do you regret it?" she whispered. I bit my lip. "Regret what?" I asked quietly. "I don't know," Lauren's voice shook as she spoke. "Everything, loving Tyler?" I swallowed back the lump in my throat. She was right. I had loved Tyler. "Just because we didn't work out as a couple, doesn't mean that he wasn't the best thing that had ever happened to me. Because he was, and he still his." Emma smiled and reached over Lauren to squeeze my hand quickly. "I know how much it sucks. I know you wanted him to be at our graduation, and I'm sorry, Brook." I smiled at nodded as tears filled my eyes, spilling over slowly. Emma sighed and looked up at the sky again. "I love you guys," she said quietly. I smiled through my tears as she went on. "You guys contributed to who I am, and you'll always be with me, wherever I am." I glanced at Lauren and saw that her cheeks were wet too. We were all crying. "Everyday, my love for you guys only grows. Because honestly, we have the best of times. I mean, sure mistakes were made and hearts were broken. But all of that is just memories now. But you guys, I swear you're people I will never, ever forget."

After a while of laughter, tears and gazing up at the sky, my phone vibrated. I sighed as I saw that it was Austin.
Austin: can u unlock the front door?

I narrowed my eyes at the request, and stood up. "I have to go to the bathroom." I said quietly. Emma nodded, and looked at Lauren. She was shaking slightly, and Emma wrapped her up in a hug. I hesitated. "It's okay," Emma whispered, nodding at me. I smiled and made my way to the door, and down the stairs. As I walked through the upstairs highway to the staircase leading downstairs, I glanced around at the pictures on the walls. Austin and Lauren looked so happy in all of them. No wonder she was crushed that he wasn't coming. When I got to the door, I unlocked it and twisted the knob. My eyes widened when I saw Austin standing there. Sam, Blake, and Drew were with him. I swallowed back tears, and launched myself into Austin's arms. He swung me up, and I buried my face in his neck. "I'm so glad you're here." I whispered. He chuckled and set me down gently. When I looked up at him, I saw his eyes were wet. Blake moved towards me, and I shook my head. "Hey," he said. I bit my lip, and let him wrap me into his arms. "I've missed you," he said quietly. I nodded. "I missed you too," I replied.

After we'd all exchanged hugs and a few tears, mostly mine, I lead them up to the roof. I opened the door slowly, and saw that Lauren's face was buried in Emma's shoulder. Emma glanced over at the sound of the door opening, and her eyes widened. I smiled and nodded to Austin. He took a deep breath, and slowly walked towards them. Blake came up behind me, and wrapped his arm around my waist. I smiled up at him, and leaned into his embrace gratefully. Together, along with Sam and Drew, we made our way towards the rest of them. Lauren lifted her head slowly, and I held back tears as I saw her eyes widen. Austin grinned and hugged her tightly. I could hear Lauren's soft cries as she clung to her brother. "I don't believe this," she said over and over. Austin chuckled, but I could hear his voice cracking, and I knew he was definitely crying too. I laid my head down on Blake's shoulder, and looked up at the stars. Sam came up next to us, and I pulled away from Blake, and reached my hand out to him. Sam grabbed it, and nodded at Emma. She stood up and held his hand, reaching her other one out to Drew. Drew smiled, and helped Lauren up as she stood. Lauren shook her head, a smile on her face, and linked hands with Austin. Austin held Blake's hand, and together the six of us stood there, holding hands and smiling at each other. After a few moments of silence, Austin looked at me. "I guess this is it, we're really graduating," I whispered. He smiled, but shook his head. "No. This moment, all of us together, this is the start of something new."