Magic Panic

Cand's POV

The very first thing that I wanted to do when I saw Ruinar with the wolves was run over and hug him in my arms. Then I thought, he can not be real and this is some sort of sick trick.

I realized it was really him when he leaped up to hug my neck. I could not hold back my happy tears, no matter my position.

I was overwhelmed with joy at having him return to me, to us. He is a Dragon of Angoleth so he belongs here with his king. I am the one who can help him and protect him.

I could tell he was injured, so I quickly thanked the wolves for their help. Then without a word I carried him inside and up the great staircase toward the healer.

It was awkward walking on only three legs, but I was not about to let him go.

I was finding it hard to think of what I wanted to say first, or should say first. My brain began to scramble my thoughts, leaving me at a loss. I would have to wait it out. Maybe he would talk first.

I was disappointed when he didn't. He only nuzzled my chin as we went, making me purr happily. I felt like I had found my only son. Talking would come eventually.

When I saw the shock on Cyra's face as I walked in, it only confirmed my suspicion that many dragons have been saying he was dead. Behind my back and my efforts to find him, they still assumed the worst.

It is a good thing I know Ruinar better than anyone else. I would never give up on him, not for anything, even with the heaviness of dread I am beginning to feel as I set him down in front of Cyra.

At my instructions, she does her work and looks him over. She discovered broken ribs and a dislocated hip, but I was beginning to get lost in my own thoughts as I let my questioning eyes stare at the poor boy.

Should I ask him about the spell on the valley? Should I drill him for signs of betrayal? Why did he run? Was his life here so horrible that Gaelon seemed a better option?...

Cyra let out a loud gasp of shock that snapped me back to attention. I instinctively snatched up what she was holding before she could drop it on the floor.

As I held up the book my eyes went wide in horrified shock.

"Why the hell do you have this?" I roared in rage. A dark magic book is the very last thing I would want to find in his possession.

"I... I stole it from Gaelon. Would you rather I let him continue to hide from you with it's invisibility spell and shield magic?" He said to me defensively.

A realization hit me, one I did not want the truth to, but had to know. I sighed and tried to calm my anger. Ruinar was clever, too clever for his own good.

"You...you are not the same little whelp that I saved three years ago. You have used magic from this book, haven't you?" I asked sternly and seriously.

"I will do whatever it takes," he replied proudly. Then before I could even make a reply he was adding, "And, if you allow me to gain more knowledge of the Ancient Language, I can protect us from his magic."

I felt my grip on the book tighten. Cyra was looking at me so I chanced a glance toward her. I saw the look of panic in her eyes. After Gaelon's magic, I couldn't blame her.

"This book is going on lock down with the other 5 of it's kind." I stated in frustration. "However, I did request you as my royal adviser and that job will require you to have more knowledge of the Ancient Language. So, your request to study the language is granted. But, there will be conditions as well."

I saw a sigh of relief escape him but then he pointed at the book on my claws and said, "the spell I need to make the shield is in there. I do not need to touch any of the other books."

As if that made it any better. I snorted and snarled in frustration but I felt a twinge of fear inside me. What if he runs away again? I have to give him what he wants, or risk losing him again. That won't happen.

"I do not want you doing anything you can not handle. I do not think I have to remind you that you are only 3 years old." My eyes softened as I continued. "You may have access to the Ancient texts but you will have to move into the adviser's chamber. Those books are best kept safe in the private library of Angoleth's royal adviser. They are not to leave that room."

Ruinar seemed to be thinking about my offer. I knew he had never even seen the inside of the adviser's chamber. He won't be disappointed if he says yes. He has not seen it, but I have, and it is almost as big as the royal chamber itself.

He will have a good life with me. I will make sure he is safe and can still do what he loves, if he is careful. I just hope I can stop him from going too far. Every dragon who uses magic from those books, eventually dies, or becomes an evil soulless monster like Gaelon. I really hope Ruinar will not have to share that fate, but I want to be by his side regardless of the outcome. He needs to know he is not alone.

(AN: Bonus chapter!!! I hope you liked it. Thank you all for reading and following my story. Wattpad has given me a rating within the fantasy genre, woohoo! It is all thanks to you guys.)