thirteen

CHAPTER 13

A LIFE FOR A LIFE

"BLESS MY SOUL IS THAT YOU NADIA?" 

Nadia loved her mother to the death, but she forgot how loud her mother's voice truly was. 

Nadia grimaced and sheepishly smiled as she stood in front of the doorway with Raph to her side, Florence and Donnie behind her while Leo lingered in the back. As expected, the children of the village had already stolen Mikey after finding out that he could juggle oranges. 

Avi happily stood next to her mother with her grin still on her face. Her cheeks hurt, but it wasn't enough to make her smile disappear. After all, her sister was back and she didn't know how long she'd be with her until Nadia left and didn't return for a few years. 

"Mom," Nadia greeted with a small sob that she hadn't even expected. All she could do was open her arms wide as she ran to her mother. 

Violet Jaymes was about as tall as Nadia with long brown and white hair that reached her waist. There were a few small braids in her hair that held a few beads while there was one feather tucked behind her right ear. Her eyes were a hazel, but the green in her eyes was much brighter against the dark brown. 

She wore a navy blue dress while around her waist was an old and worn apron. Her tired eyes were trained on her daughter who soon, was wrapped tightly in her arms. 

"I missed you so much bug," she hummed with tears pricking her eyes. For her daughters sake, Violet kept her sobs down in order to not embarrass herself in front of Nadia's friends. 

"I missed you too," she whispered back. When the two pulled away, everyone saw as Nadia roughly wiped her cheeks and put on a strong face. Avi was rocking on the balls of her feet but looked up when she noticed the way the turtles were looking at Nadia and Violet. 

It was as if the each of them missed the same person. 

Avi frowned but put a smile on her face as she walked up to the turtles. Leo managed to stay in the back, but he couldn't help but blush when Avi grabbed his hand and dragged him to the front. 

"Mommy! Nadia brought friends!" 

Violet looked up to her daughter's cheery tone and smiled at the sight of the four in her open doorway. Not having doors was never a worry to her, but now she felt as though she should at least have made the doorway wider for all of them to fit. 

"Come in! Come in!" She waved her hand rapidly as she walked to the turtles. "Come inside before the others snatch you! The girls here tend to have a watchful eye for any visitors." 

Violet gave Leo a small wink, causing him to awkwardly smile and rub the back of his neck. 

"And h-how many visitors do you get?" Florence asked from the back as she possessively put her hand through Donnie's. Violet's little warning put her on guard, even enough to make her look over her shoulder just in time to see a trio of girls turn their heads and speed up their steps. 

"None," Violet shrugged before quickly facing the turtles. She walked up to Raph and suddenly, much to Nadia's horror, grasped his biceps with a wide grin. 

"He's strong! Muscles are good for the soul y'know," she grinned wildly as she turned her head to Nadia and winked. "No wonder you chose him." 

Nadia could only respond with a desperate groan as she put her head in her hands. Raph, on the other hand, smirked and winked at Nadia who blushed and turned her head to the side.