Chapter 15

Evangeline woke feeling refreshed and better than ever. She opened her eyes and lied in bed, looking at the ceiling and reliving the events of the night before. She had already forgotten what the kiss had felt like, but not what she had felt while being kissed. She began to wonder again if she would feel the same if Nathaniel were to kiss her later that night, and if she did, would it mean she fancied Nathaniel? Had she felt that way with Jack because it had been her first time? There were so many thoughts occuring at once.

She was a bit shocked that Jack had told her how Nathaniel felt about her and that Jack had seen it on his face. Had she been completely oblivious, or just had she just not been sure what "desire" actually looked like? Her many thoughts began to suffocate her, so she decided to get up and dress. As she made her way to the kitchen, she heard her father making a ruckus.

"Father what is going on?" she asked as she saw him in the kitchen.

"Ah! Geline! Good morning, daughter!" he said.

"What are you doing?"

"Preparing breakfast!"

She sat down at the table, amused.

"You've no idea what you're even doing," she said with a chuckle.

"Oh nonsense! How difficult could it be?" he asked seconds before dropping and egg on the floor, white and yellow spilling from the shell.

"Oops."

Evangeline laughed, and shooed her father from the kitchen.

"Why don't you go have a talk with Jack? You haven't said a word to him since he has been here."

"Alright, alright," he said, pushing his graying hair from his face.

She felt as if she would cry, she had her father back. She tended to the mess of the egg and started breakfast, her mind on Jack. Was he thinking about last night? What was she going to wear to the ball? Would Nathaniel tell her how he felt, or would Jack be wrong about how the man's feelings? Her thoughts were brought back to breakfast as she cursed out loud after burning her finger on the pot, and quickly placed it in her mouth to nurse it.

"Perhaps Jack is rubbing off on me," she said of her cursing, something she did not do.

She finished up the food and set a plate for her father and Jack on the table. If Jack was able to walk last night, she could help him to the kitchen.

She walked in on Jack and her father talking, both of them turning their heads towards her as she entered. Jack smiled, and their eyes locked. She saw something in his, a momentary spark, a flash of flirtation, but her father cleared his throat and their connection was broken.

"Good morning, luv! Big day today, eh?" Jack asked, and Geline knew she had seen something that hadn't really been there. 

"Yes, Jack has just informed me that you are going out with Doctor Frazier tonight! How splendid!"

"Oh, yes, well...it's not anything huge," she said.

"Don't fool yerself, luv. He fancies ya and you know you're excited," Jack said.

"Well you did not tell me he fancied my daughter! Smart man!" her father declared.

"I am a little excited," she admitted, holding a hand out for Jack.

"Where are we going?" he asked, looking at her had quizzically.

"To the kitchen, for breakfast."

He took her hand and lifted himself out of bed, slightly wincing.