Chapter 41

Jack and Annie stared at each other, mystified by one another's presence. The expression on Jeanne's face may have caused Evangeline to tear up had the spirit held it any longer, but Boone seemed to notice the connection between his enemy and the woman he had just conjured. Boone, who pushed Jack aside and stepped in front of him, was just as bewildered as the rest of the crew. Annie gazed at him for a moment, trying to work out who this man was and it was obvious when she remembered him, for her eyes became dark and she visibly shuddered.

"Viktor," she hissed.

"Annie, darling," he whispered, taking a tentative step forward. "Is it really you? Are you really standing before me?"

"Why are you here?"

"I have brought you back to me, all these years I have waited to see you stand where you are now. I have done all this to see you again, I have brought you back."

"Boone, don't ya talk to her," Jack snarled.

Quickly turning around, Boone came face to face with Jack. Both of the men could have lit lanterns with the fire they had in their eyes.

"I will not tolerate another word out of you, Sparrow. You keep your filthy, pathetic mouth shut or there will be consequences."

"Viktor, what are you doing?" Annie asked, her accent thick and almost difficult to make out.

Boone turned back to the spirit, a loving smile on his face.

"I'm sorry, darling. I want to be able to speak with you without any interruptions. Are you not happy to see me? I worked so long and hard to bring you back to me, it took so many years but here you are. Do you know of the work I have done to be able to see you?"

Annie looked to Jack for a moment, confused as to what Boone was relating to her.

"What have you done, Viktor?"

Still holding the Grail in her hands, Evangeline could see that Annie was livid with the man in front of her and confused as to how she could be seeing him and Jack. Looking at the people around her, everyone was still somewhat mystified by the spirit, except Elizabeth. The lady Captain's eyes were wondering around the cavern and Geline could tell she was formulating some sort of plan in her head.

"I have brought you back to me."

"How is this possible?"

"With an instrument sent from God, my love. The Holy Grail itself, the cup that the young woman behind us holds in her hands, only she amongst us could truly touch it and she helped in bringing you to me. Oh Jeanne, darling, you knew all along of my love for you. Now I prove it with offering you your life back."

Annie's face contorted in pain and disgust, unable to process the words Viktor said to her.

"Love? I do not understand your... ce qui signifie...your meaning of this word. Do you kill the people you love, Viktor? I know you murdered me that night that I lied with Jack. Love? No, you do not love me!"

"No, no I didn't mean to, I do love you. I never meant to...kill you that night," Boone pleaded.

"He doesn't love ya, he hurt ya and I was there. I'm the one who loves ya!" Jack shouted.

"Shut up, Sparrow! I do love you Annie, if I didn't why would I have brought you back? Please, Annie, just drink from the Grail and a body shall form around your spirit and we can be together!"

"Viktor, I have been gone a very long time. I have been dead, my spirit residing in a glorious place, a paradise where I have been content. Why should I want to come back to this earth, where men lie and kill? No, I do not want to come back, not with you. I will not. I do not love you. My heart belongs to only one, even as a spirit who has not a heart."