Chapter 23

As the hours ticked by, and day shed to night the cops thankfully did not return. Sean eventually fell asleep against me, keeping me pinned to the couch afraid to wake him, and darkness settled around us.

I however forced my eyes to remain open. Despite the exhaustion I felt maneuver through my being, I kept awake. The anger that continued to haunt my mind frankly made me fear sleep. I don't want to see Dark face to face, not when he's this angry.

I still don't know why he's acting like this, sure he's shown some interest in Jack, but he can't really believe anything will happen between the two of them, right? Even he isn't that stupid.

But as the clock strikes midnight I feel my eyelids begin to droop, weighed down by an unseen force. I long to move, to get up and do something to ward away the sinking feeling of exhaustion, but dare not make even a slight motion. A part of me truly didn't want to wake Sean up after everything he's been through today.

So I sat, trying to focus on something, anything but the tiredness that clawed at my eyelids.

I studied each mark strewn across the ceiling at least twice, mentally went through my schedule no less than five times, and finally studied the sleeping man beneath me. Trying to uncover the mystery that always surrounded him.

However as the hour passed, I feel my head begin to loll to the side, I feel my eyelids drop, limbs becoming heavy, until I feel it pull me under into the sleep I so wanted to avoid.

My eyes open in the same forest as always, only this time the tall trees seem more constricting, more claustrophobic. My eyes wander through the thick brush until coming to a set of furious crimson irises. I feel my heart rate pick up, though force my face to remain emotionless. The silence that surrounds the two of us is menacing, the way he stood straight, business as usual puts me on edge.

His eyes scan over me, sizing me up before landing plainly to meet my gaze, his eyes swam with rage, yet the way he held himself was calm, collected, confident even.

"Mark..."

His voice is no different than his stature, cool and serene, but a new darkness slithered beneath it. I force my own back to straighten, my only current goal being to seem as composed as he is to seem like I'm not afraid.

"Dark..."

I match his tone with a soft voice, pretending to not see the anger alight in those crimson orbs as I speak his name.

His head rolls side to side, as though composing himself once again before stepping forward.

"Just what the hell do you think you're doing...?"

The anger becomes more prominent in his deep voice, seeming to echo around the trees, his form flickered as though a simple glitch, and not truly in front of me. I feel my eyes narrow in silent question, a new annoyance working its way onto his face at my confusion.

"What do you mean?"

He gives a low rumble of a scoff, stepping forward once again as to intimidate me. I resist the urge to step back, refusing to give him the satisfaction, despite my heart nearly beating from my chest.

"Are you daft? It's about Sean... I don't like you treating him like this... I don't like you touching what's mine..."

My eyes narrow even more if possible, and for a moment I almost think he's joking, however I never saw him as the comedic type.

"Seriously?"

The word leaves my lips before I can stop it. The demon narrows his eyes at my disbelieving tone, and for a moment I think he'll snap. Noting his silence I continue in a much more respectful tone if not a little fearful.