Chapter 30

((I was going to do other Points of view in this chapter but I got over a thousand words with this angsty bullshit and thought it good. So... Enjoy some backstory :) ))

~~~~~~Anti's POV~~~~~~

I feel his eyes narrow, not-so-silent questions swimming through his head in quick succession.

"Humanity? But you're a demon?"

His voice comes out a mere mutter, speaking more to himself rather than me. Yet I find my eyes rolling regardless, feeling the need to correct him, even if it goes against everything I've ever been taught.

We were all human once, dumbass...

I glowered, battling the urge to roll my eyes once more. Silence consumes the human, as though he didn't know what to say to such a thing. Is it really any sort of surprise? I scoff at his disbelief, evident without any words spoken.

Where did you think we came from? We didn't just appear one day...

He goes silent once again, processing this new information. If he wasn't crazy before, maybe this information would finally drive him over the edge. I don't know whether to smile or scowl at the thought.

"What were you like? As a human I mean?"

I feel myself hesitate at the question. I hardly remember being human... I remember I wasn't good, but I wasn't... this...

Not much different than I am now I suppose...

Soft tone almost makes me want to gag, yet I can almost feel again, what it's like to have my own body, to have my own life. Even if it was shit, it was better than all of this...

As a human I was barely hanging by a thread, stealing just to eat, taking any work I could, illegal or otherwise, just to pay rent. I did everything short of prostitution... Even I have limits...

Conman... Thief... Scum of the earth some would say...

A breathless chuckle at the words, despite the anguish tearing at me. I almost miss being human...

Let's just say... I didn't need a demon to drag me down to hell...

I was one of the select few... One of those who went down merely on my own account. Sometimes I wish I could go back... Redo my life as a human, make better of myself... Find that better place...

Hell, I don't even know if a place like that exists... Humans talk about this 'Heaven' as though it's the most glorious thing... As though there's nothing wrong with it. Yet, no one really knows... They just live their lives, believing if they do good, if they refuse any sin, maybe they can find peace...

"Is that your job...? T-to send me to Hell...?"

The question interrupts my thoughts. I feel his breath hitch as I tense up, the question I never thought I'd have to answer, the question I've been trained to ignore. Something tugs at me, a strange feeling, too familiar, but too strange. Guilt maybe? Resign?

It tugs at me, like anchors pulling me downward, but I force them upwards, adding the new weight to my shoulders, as I utter the next words dejectedly.

I... I can't tell you...

I feel his disappointment, his apprehension. Why do I feel so bad refusing him this information? Why am I pitying him so? What is wrong with me?