Chapter 28

I don't remember moving.

However as the tears slowed, drying upon my pale cheeks, and choked sobs turned to ragged breaths. As the world came back into focus, and the reality of the situation wore on me, adding a new weight to my shoulders. As I finally regained the ability to think clearly I was on the floor, curled into a pathetic ball as though that could somehow protect me.

I blink a few times, allowing the smog clear from my vision. Finally I force myself to push up, wincing slightly as I move my arm. Hesitantly I let my eyes wander to it, the ache within it, nearly driving me to tears once more.

It looked almost worse than it felt. Hues of purple and green wrap around it like vines, splashes of almost a blue towards the outer center of my bicep. It was almost sickening, pulling my eyes away I force myself to stand on shaky legs, using the back of the couch beside me to help myself up.

Once up I let reality crash down once again, a new sense of dread cast over the room. My eyes instinctively move down the hall, for a moment I almost expect him to stand in a doorway, watching me with those hawk-like eyes, but it remains empty, I don't dare go to investigate.

What happened?

The voice startles me, a quick moment of surprise before it quickly fades to anger.

"Where the hell have you been?"

I can almost feel him shrug, a pathetic effort at indifference. I feel my eyes move to my discolored bicep again. Despite the site nauseating me to the point of sickness I don't look away, feeling Anti study it for a long time before finally speaking and allowing me to glance away.

Dark do that?

Soft voice almost comes out almost more matter-of-factly rather than a question. I nod.

"Why weren't you here? Why didn't you help me...?"

A new hatred drenches those words. Of course I'd never particularly liked the demon, however meeting Dark certainly changed my feelings about him. He's been my crutch, the one I know can control the other demon at least a little bit, yet when I needed him...

I was busy...

He mutters, strangely intrigued by the anger in my voice.

Besides, you've had every opportunity to leave... But you refused to listen to me...

I open my mouth as to argue, but no words manage to form. He's not wrong. The amount of times the demon told me to leave this place, the amount of times he'd warned me about both Mark and Dark... Feeling my hesitance he speaks again, voice growing a semblance of sympathy with each word.

Look... Dark won't leave you alone... It'll only get worse... You're best option is to leave here, go as far away as possible...

A part of me wants to argue, I want to tell him he's wrong... I don't want to agree with the words echoing around my head, but... He's right...

As far as I can tell he knows Dark a lot more than I do. The way they interact with each other... that memory... It's clear Anti despises the other demon... Maybe it's for a good reason...

Anti goes silent, as though waiting on an answer. I don't know what to say. I can't leave Mark... He needs me as much as I need him, but with that thing in his head, threatening to take control any second...

I feel myself shiver at the thought.

On the other hand I'm a wanted man... I'm sure my face is all over the news still, how could I possibly hide out there on my own...