Chapter Ten

•Day 39•

"Wake up Sadie! It's your birthday!" my dad yells.

"Dad, I'm tired let me sleep!"

"Sleep on the way home! We have a long car ride and a big surprise waiting for you at home!"

"Don't we have to clean up?"

"No I hired a cleaning service to come. Just pack your stuff and lets skiddaddle!"

After packing my things from the last few days, we pack the car with our belongings and head home.

"So dad how was your vacation? You didn't have to be alone, you could've stayed with us."

"This is the town I grew up in. I had plenty to do and lots of people to see. I wasn't alone. Plus I wanted to give you kids some bonding time after everything you've been through."

"Thanks dad. I really needed this."

"Of course sweetie. How's your leg?"

"You mean my lack of a leg? It's good. I've actually enjoyed myself."

"Awesome! That's just what I wanted to hear."

----------

"Okay Sadie keep your eyes closed!" my dad says. Ethan and him are leading me into the house.

"Ready and open!"

I open my eyes to see Jonah.

"Why are you here?" I ask shocked.

"I came to explain."

"It's my birthday, you know?"

"Yeah I know. Happy Birthday"

"Thanks."

"Look I just got scared with the rumor and I didn't want people to say anything to me so I left town for a little. My sister was getting married so I figured it was a good excuse anyway. Then I heard you were in the hospital so I visited but chickened out when I saw you. I didn't go to school because I was afraid of seeing you there. Then Leah said those awful things and none of you guys showed up to school. I came here and your dad explained everything. I just want to say I'm sorry and I hope you can forgive me."

I look at my friends who give him sympathetic looks. Ethan wasn't here though.

"I forgive you"

The words came out of my mouth without my brain's approval.

"Oh thank god!" He says and hugs me. "I've missed you guys."

"We did too. I'm glad you're back bro" Seth says.

"You guys have fun, I have to go to the diner. No alcohol though," my dad warns grabbing his shoes. "Want me to order a pizza?"

"Yes please!" We all day in unison.

"I'll just call and head out then," he laughs heading to think kitchen phone.

"Where's Ethan?" I ask.

"I'm right here"

"Where'd ya go?"

"Just went to get some air"

"You alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine"

"Babe c'mon, be honest with me"