Chapter Twenty Three

•Day 101•

"I HATE YOU!"

"Sadie you don't mean it. You know I did what I had to. You and I both didn't want your mother to suffer" my dad says trying to calm me down.

"You killed my mom!"

"No I didn't. She died of cancer Sadie. It took over and she wasn't going to make it"

"I HATE YOU!" I cry and run upstairs.

"Sadie wait-" I slam and lock the door.

"Ethan!" I whisper yell across the yard. His window was open. "Ethan!"

"Sadie? What's wrong? It's like two in the morning."

"Please come over"

"I'll be right there" he says climbing out of the window. Not too long later he climbs the tree and into my room. "What's wrong Sadie?"

"My dad killed my mom" I cry and pull him into a hug.

"What do you mean? I thought she had cancer?"

"She did but the doctors had her on life support and said she only had a couple days to live. Then he asked if she was in pain and would she recover and the next thing I knew they pulled the plugs."

"I'm so sorry!" he whispers hugging me closer. His voice cracked a little as if he wanted to cry too. But he didn't. He was being strong, just for me.

"Babe wake up it was just a dream" Ethan says shaking me a little.

"But it wasn't" I cry. He pulls me so I am laying on top of him. I cry into his chest as he strokes my hair.

"Sadie what happened?"

"It was a flashback"

"To when?"

"The night my mom died. When I accused my dad of killing my mom and then you came over and comforted me"

"I thought we were passed the whole thing about your dad doing that. He didn't want her to suffer. She was going to die anyways."

"I know but what if she didn't? She could still be here with me"

"She would still have cancer. She wouldn't be herself. You remember what it was like to be with her, right?"

"Yeah" I say whipping away my tears. Out of no where Cooper bursts into the guest room.

"Chloe's back from the doctors. Everything is fine with the baby, BUT Jonah's awake."

"Shit." I say thinking of last night. He's going to be pissed. I get up, put on my leg, and walk to Cooper.

"Where is he?"

"In the kitchen."

I go downstairs and slowly make my way into the kitchen. Ethan is following me close behind.

"Ethan I need to talk to him alone."

"No way in hell am I letting you anywhere near that guy without me."

"Babe he was drunk"

"And boy is he a dick when he's drunk. Now no arguing, I'm coming in there with you"

"Last time you came with me you got a black eye" I say pointing to his face.

"Just let me come. Please?" He gives me the puppy dog eyes which I can never say no to.

"You are so mean" I say entering the kitchen.

"But you love me" he says. I can hear the smile in his voice, if that makes sense. Jonah is sitting there eating eggs and bacon. I sit across from him with Ethan next to me. "Hi"