Chapter Twenty

•Day 84•

It's been storming on and off for the last week. The weather men say it should be over soon but to hang in there. A lot if people have been getting into accidents too so Ethan's parents are insisting that we don't drive anywhere- meaning I can't visit my dad. They also said we should stay with them. Daisy is living with Kate for a while.

"Sadie! Your dad is calling!" Lisa yells from the kitchen.

"Coming!"

I run to the nearest phone and pick up.

"Hey dad what's up?"

"Sadie you need to come to the hospital" he says barely audible.

"Dad what's wrong?"

"I don't know how much longer I have and I need to say goodbye to you"

"Dad that's not funny. You can't joke around with this stuff"

"Just come to the hospital. I love you. Bye"

"Wait dad-" I say with tears forming in my eyes.

He hung up on me!

"Ethan! Ethan!!" I yell grabbing my keys. "Ethan!!!"

"What? What's wrong?" he says coming out in a towel with his hair wet.

"My dad he- he wants me to come to the hospital now"

"Why what's wrong?"

"He thinks it's time"

"Oh fuck! Okay, let's go" he says taking the keys from me.

"Sweetie?" his mom says.

"Yes ma?"

"You're still in a towel"

"Oh whoops."

Ethan quickly runs into his room and comes back out.

"Alright let's go" he says grabbing me and pulling me to the door.

"Not so fast you two. There is an extreme weather watch. You are not going anywhere"

"Oh so now you give a shit about what we do?"

"Don't talk to me like that! I am your mother!"

"Yeah a mother who ignored me for my whole life! The only thing you do is work or sit on the couch! Oh and occasionally you make sure there are leftovers for me"

"Ethan" I whisper "That's enough"

"I bet the only reason you care about me now is because of Sadie! You always treat her better than me"

"Maybe that's cause I wanted a girl!" Lisa shouts.

"Well you got me. C'mon Sadie, let's go"

"Ethan wait" she shouts as we leave.

The drive to the hospital is slow and quiet. We get there and have to park super far away.

"You go ahead. I'll be right there"

"But Ethan it's thundering"

"Just go Sadie"

"I don't want to go alone"

"Oh, yeah, sorry I forgot. Just give me a second" he says getting out of the car. He walks around with his hands running through his hair.

It's not like him to snap at his mom. He usually understands that they work for money for college and to pay bills. I guess something about today made him brake.