Chapter Eighteen

•Day 74•

"Sadie this dress looks beautiful!" Cooper says.

"Aw look who's feminine side is coming out!" I say laughing at him.

"Shut up, " he laughs, "Oh and Chloe you look gorgeous as well."

"Thank you," she smiles as she plugs in the curling iron. A half hour later my hair and make up are completely done.

"I can't believe this is it," I say staring at my reflection in the mirror. I look so different put together like this in a white gown.

"You're dad will always be with you Sadie," Cooper says smiling from behind me.

"It won't be the same."

"Hey he's still here and I believe it's time for you to go exchange some promise rings with the man of your dreams."

I clear my head and put on a big smile.

"You're right, let's go."

"Wait, where are your crutches?"

"My temporary prosthesis came today! It's super uncomfortable but I've been working in PT for this for months. I'm sucking it up."

"Alright then," he laughs.

Cooper walks me to the church room entrance where my dad stands.

"You look beautiful Sadie"

"Thanks dad" I smile back.

"You ready?"

"Yes"

God Gave Me You by Dave Barnes starts playing as my dad walks me down the tiny isle. Ethan stands at the end and watches my every move. My friends and their families sit on both sides as if we were getting married, all in awe that I'm walking again. Since Chloe is my "made of honer" she stands up with Ethan and Seth who is Ethan's "best man".

When I reach the end, Ethan takes my hands and my dad sits down. A nurse who is leading the ceremony stands in front of us.

"Friends and family, we are gathered here today to watch this young couple make a promise to get married someday. Ethan and Sadie have been together all their lives. And now on June 18th they will promise to continue to be together. They have chosen to write their own promises. Sadie? Would you like to go first?"

"Sure" I say turning my attention to Ethan. "Ethan, I had this dream a long time ago. It was me and a boy and I fell in love with him but I don't remember what he looked liked. I promised myself I'd find him. And you are him. At first I wouldn't admit it, but since Day One, I've been in love with you and I'm so glad I found you. I promise with all my heart that I will love you forever and that one day we will get married."

This is so cheesy but romantic and I feel tears forming in my eyes. I don't know if it's from this ceremony or the fact my dad won't actually be able to walk me down the isle when I do marry Ethan. Either way, I can't stop smiling.

"And now Ethan"

"Sadie, ever since we were little kids, I have liked you. I would tease you or joke around with you but that's how I would express it when I was little. Then I got older and I still liked you. I tried to ignore it but that didn't work so I did everything I could. I was there for you through the thick and thin. I promise to continue to be there for you. I promise to love you and make you happy for the rest of your life. I promise someday we will get married. And I promise you will never lose me"

"The rings please"

Cooper come down the isle with the promise rings.

"Sadie do you promise to do everything you just said?"