Chapter Seventeen

•Day 67•

My dad is still in the hospital. They don't know why he hasn't woken up yet. And on top of all that, my aunt didn't call me back. She probably ignored the message.

Ethan's been living with me since the heart attack. His parents come by once a day to make sure we are okay and alive. Sometimes they make us dinner, sometimes they clean up, and sometimes they just come to talk. I don't really like talking to anyone besides Ethan and my friends. Lydia and Cooper seem to have something going on but she keeps her distance from me. And Kate is running the diner for us while my dad's gone. Ethan and I stop by everyday to make sure things are okay and to be sure the bills get paid.

We are usually really busy after school so during lunch we leave to visit my dad.

Each day that my dad doesn't wake up, it's like something is taken away from me. Maybe a little bit of trust but mainly hope.

"Come on Sadie we should go check up on your dad" Ethan says as we walk down the hallway.

"Okay"

We leave the school and head to the hospital. The car rides are usually silent. Ethan's been hurting a lot too. I think he misses the old me. The one who's outgoing, funny, flirty, and fun. Not this sad, quiet, little girl who has the worse luck.

We walk to my dad's room but when we arrive it's empty. What the hell?!

"Where is he?"

"I don't know come on, let's go ask"

"Excuse me, my dad was in room 137 but isn't there any more. Where is he?"

"That patient has been moved to critical care. Family only" the lady behind the desk says eyeing Ethan.

"He's my husband." I say quickly moving my moms wedding ring to my left hand.

"Oh sorry, you guys just seem young"

"Yeah young but we are in love" Ethan adds.

"I apologize... he's in room 341"

"Thank you!" We say walking towards the elevator. Once the doors shut Ethan turns to me shocked.

"Why do you have your mom's ring?"

"I thought maybe it would give my dad some luck so I wore it today. I was planning on putting it on him but now I clearly can't. It's the only way to get you in with me"

"So I'm your husband now" he says smirking.

"Yes" I say smiling back.

"I like the sound of that"

"Me too"

DING!

We get out of the elevator and make our way down to room 341. My dad was lying there in bed. He looks exactly the same except there are more tubes connected to him.

"Hey dad" I say approaching him. I grab his hand and sit down on a foldable chair next to him.

"We only have twenty minutes today. Sorry about that, there was some confusion at the front desk. Oh if anyone asks, Ethan is my husband"

"I promise we aren't actually married. I wouldn't dare marry her without your permission"

I laugh a little then smile at Ethan. "You wanna sit?" I say standing up. He takes a seat and then places me on his lap. I grab my dads hand again and hold it close to my heart.

"So there hasn't been anything new lately. Well, except in your location. But at home Daisy is fine and the diner is fine. We've kept the house clean, I promise"