Above The Fold

I crawled into the bunk that I was right across from Crutchie and settled in. What a day. I looked over at Crutchie, who was smiling at me.
"What?" I whispered.
"You and Davey are a thing now, ain't ya?" He whispered back, still smiling. I started to get a little flustered when he rolled over and fell asleep. I turned myself to face the wall and fell asleep.

~The Next Day~

I woke up to Jack shouting for the boys to wake up. I jumped out of bed and put on my shoes and jacket. I looked at Crutchie's bunk and saw that he was gone.
"He's probably downstairs." I thought. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and slid my hat on. I walked out the door and slid down the stair banister. I flew off the banister and a pair of arms caught me.
"Careful, Kicks!" Davey said, smiling. My smile grew wide as he put me on the ground.
"Hey, Davey." I said.
"Alright, lovebirds." Jack said, putting his arms around our shoulders. "Let's move, newsies!" He shouted this as he lifted me into his back and started running out the door.
"Wait, where's Crutchie?" I said, giggling.
"He's back there with Specs." Jack said, stopping at a large gate. I looked back and saw Crutchie talking with Specs. I hopped off of Jack's back and ran up to Crutchie and hugged him.
"Mornin' Crutchie!" I said, walking up with him to the gate. He kissed my forehead and I leaned into him.
"Hey, Kicks. Watch this. They puttin' up the headline!" Jack said, pointing to a large chalkboard. I looked up and watched a man write out:
New Star In New York
I heard the boys around me groan.
"Anotha one of those prima donnas." Albert moaned. Two boys walked up and unlocked the gate.
"Dear me, what is that unpleasant aroma? I fear the sewers might have backed up in the night."
"Or could it be..."
"THE DELANCY BROTHAS!" All the newsies shouted. The boys opened the gate and I walked in next to Jack. A large arm stopped me and I looked up.
"Well, well. I rarely see a girl newsie." He said. Jack put his hand on my shoulder.
"Back off, Oscar." We started walking again when I felt an unwelcome hand on my behind. I whipped around and punched him in the gut. He doubled over and his brother came running up.
"Don't you dare soak her!" Jack said, getting in front of me and punching him in the face. Davey took my wrist and we ran inside the building with the other newsies.
"PAPES TO DA NEWSIES!" A man shouted. Davey and I walked up and I placed a coin on the table.
"I'll take twenty papes." I said
"A goil newsies. Not somethin' you see everyday." He said, grinning. I glared at him.
"Give me my twenty papes." I growled.
"Twenty papes for the goily." He said, handing them to me. I placed them in my bag when Davey put his hand on my shoulder.
"Have you read this?!" He asked.( ;) Did you catch that?)
"I just got the papes five seconds ago." I said.
"Look!" He said, shoving the paper in my face. I looked and my jaw dropped. Right on the front cover, above the fold, was a picture of me.
"I-Is that me?" I asked, handing it back. Davey nodded.
"It says, 'The young performer named Kicks, has pure, untapped talent for singing. People have been lined up outside the theater she performed at last night, hoping to buy a ticket to witness the talented beauty.'" My mouth was agape and my eyes bulged out of my head.
"Well look at this!" Jack said, showing Les and Crutchie the paper.
"I-I...Who...How did this happen?!" I asked.
"Some reporter must've been in the audience last night and saw you." Crutchie said. I remembered the bright light flashing. It must've been a camera. "But my little sista...Famous!" Crutchie continued.
"Y'know what, Kicks?" Race said, putting his arm around my shoulder. "When ya famous, the world's yer erster." He said, smiling and chewing on the end of a cigar.
"The world's my what?" I asked
"Yer erster." He repeated. I looked at him, confused.
"Yer fancy clam wit the poyle inside." He said.
"Ohhh! Oyster!" I said.
"That's what I said, ain't it?" Albert came up to me and replaced Race's arm with his own.
"Ya don't need money when ya famous. They gives ya whateva ya want! Gratis!"
"Such as...?" I asked.
"A pair of new shoes with matchin' laces!" Race said.
Romeo chimed in with, "A permanent box at the sheepshead races!"
"Pastrami on rye with a sour pickle!" Henry smiled.
"My personal puss on a wooden nickle!" Finch added.

My smiled grew with each image the boys put in my mind.

"Oh look at her!" Jack shouted, hoisting me up so that I was sitting on his and Davey's shoulders. "She's the King of New York!" I laughed.

"Who'da thunk?! I'm the King of New York!" I shouted, raising my arms up. Jack shifted me so that I was only sitting on Davey's shoulder. Davey lowered me down and spun me around. He started dancing and I began to laugh.

"Ain't she pretty? It's her city! She's the King of New York!" Davey replied.

"Make way for the King of New York, boys!" Davey shouted, clearing a path for me through the sea of newsies. I curtsied in a silly way and glided out the door. Davey and Les ran up behind me and Davey scooped me up and placed me on his back. We ran out the door and to his selling spot. Davey put me down and I looked to the side.
"Wait. Where's Les?" I asked. Davey looked around.
"He was right next to me." Davey said. I walked down the street we came down and saw a hat and a bag for papes. Davey ran up behind me and his face flushed. I looked around the crowd and saw no sign of him. I looked up at Davey, who looked very pale.
"He wouldn't have gone far, don't worry." I said, putting a hand on his shoulder. I asked around the crowd and no one had seen Les. Fifteen minutes later, we were walking down the path we took to get to Davey's spot. A small figure caught my eye through the crowd. "Davey, lift me up." I said.
"Wh-what?"
"Lift me up! Quickly!" I growled. Davey picked me up and put me on his shoulders. I scanned the crowd and saw a familiar figure struggling against two large ones. "I see him!" I shouted. Davey put me down and we ran after them.
"Les!" Davey shouted. The two tall people and Les turned around when they heard Davey. Les's face, bruised and with a split lip, brightened.
"Davey!" Les shouted. The one of the men who had Les picked him up and began running away.
"The Delanceys!" I shouted, picking up speed. We chased them across a bridge and through the crowded city. I only stopped when I ran into someone.
"Hello again, miss." The newsie said.
"I've got no time for your damn games, Conlon!" I shouted, trying to push past him. He stopped me with his hands.
"What's your rush?" He asked, seeming genuinely worried.
"The Delanceys took Davey's brotha and I just know they're gonna hurt the kid if we don't catch up. Now let me go!" I shouted, shoving Spot's hands off my shoulders and continuing my pursuit. Davey and I followed them to a dock with rough waters. We chased the three of them onto the dock.
"Don't move!" Oscar shouted, holding Les over the water.
"Don't! He can't swim!" Davey shouted. Oscar proceeded to pretend to drop Les, causing me to scream.
"Just give me my brother." Davey said, reaching his arm out for Les. Les squirmed and tried to grab onto Davey's hand. Morris grabbed Davey and I while Oscar threw Les far into the water.
"Go get 'im!" Oscar shouted. Les and I screamed and Davey let out the scariest yell I'd ever heard.