The Sad Reality

I woke up a while later. Monika was not lying next to me. I took my phone out of my pocket and saw that it was 9:23. There were also some messages from my mom. At 6:02, she asked me where I was. At 6:16, she told me that Keith called and said that I was asleep and that I could stay over for the night if I felt tired. I didn't really think too much about it. I was more interested in where Monika was. Keith probably knew. As I was heading upstairs to go ask him, I heard voices.

Keith and Monika. What could they be doing?

I approached Keith's door and quietly listened.

"He's not normally like that. He cares for you very much, Monika, and he'd do anything to protect you."

"It was just so scary seeing him like that. How he punched that boy... he seemed so harmless."

"Well actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that guy pulled a weapon on Danny. Our school isn't the best in the world, it's got a lot of violence and gangs."

"Really? I hadn't noticed."

"Danny was probably doing his best to make sure you didn't. I'm sure he wants you to feel safe and comfortable. He's used to being in a school where everyone is a possible threat."

"Well in that case, I'd understand him being protective. But did you see what he hit the boy with? It looked like Danny was taking advantage of the fact that he was unarmed."

"Well actually Monika, I've never seen Danny with brass knuckles before. In fact, I don't think he owns any. He seems to be the type that prefers knives. He probably somehow got the knuckles from the guy."

"But still, why would Danny go and beat him if he was unarmed? It seems a little, inhumane, wouldn't you agree?"

"Well that I can agree with. I'm not really sure why he would do that, but I'll talk to him."

"Thank you, Keith. I'd really appreciate that."

"Now, can you explain the situation, again? Like, when the boy found you in the room and all that? I want to make sure I know every detail about everything."

Monika went on to explain everything in great detail. She didn't leave anything out, and she didn't lie. Keith made occasional comments, but for the most part, it was just a rerun of earlier events.

Monika ended it by talking about when I told her to go to Keith's truck.

"I took his backpack for him and headed to your truck. Remember?"

"Yes I remember."

"And then that's it. You know everything else after that."

"I've never heard of him being so aggressive. That doesn't seem like him at all. But I'll talk to him and I'll make sure it all works out, okay?"

"Thank you. It's just, agh, seeing him like that made me feel...

Scared.

How he hit that boy, he did it with such aggression and strength."

"It's okay, Monika."

I barely heard her sigh. "Keith, do you think Danny would show aggression to me? Like, do you think he'd ever get angry enough to hit me?

I could feel my heart tear as I heard her ask that.

"Please don't tell him I asked."

"No it's okay, I understand. But I doubt Danny would ever hit you. Or show any aggression towards you. I didn't even know he could get this aggressive until today. He loves you and all he wants to do it protect you. But if you feel scared, you could sleep here."

"It's okay. I may have gotten a little scared today, but I am still his girlfriend. I'd care for him no matter what."

"Alright. Well I hope we can all work things out tomorrow. Or even tonight. Is he still asleep?"

"I'm not sure. I'll go check on him."

As soon as I heard that, I quickly headed back downstairs and into Keith's dads room. I made good time too, since I barely heard Keith's door open as I was entering the room. I got into bed and pretended to be asleep. I soon heard the bedroom door open. I could feel Monika's presence inside the room. The door closed again. I barely opened my eyes to check if Monika was in the room. She wasn't.

She came back about minute later. I pretended to be asleep as she lied down next to me. She scooted closer to me and lied her head on my shoulder.

"Sleep well, Danny. I love you."

She gave me a kiss on the cheek before adjusting herself on my shoulder. She later fell asleep, and I fell asleep with her.