I Guess This Is It

Monika seemed very weak and sleepy. I myself, refused to fall asleep. Lying and thinking was all I could do. Sleeping was not an option. I needed to be awake and alert in case anything happened with Monika.

Monika soon fell asleep. The comfort of lying next to her made the urge to sleep very strong. I did my best to ignore and make sure that I stayed awake. What could I do to keep Monika here?

I couldn't get my mind off of the computer. What if it was causing Monika to die? If that was the case, Monika would feel a lot better if I just unplugged it and destroyed it. Then I'd just help Keith raise the money to get a new one.

One that didn't want to take my girlfriend.

Alright. What if the computers trying to help her? By taking her back, it could possibly be trying to save her. I don't know exactly what's causing her to die, but Monika was right when she said that she's not a normal being.

Actually, that's pretty interesting. I didn't know that she didn't need to eat. Who knows what else was different about her?

No, come on Danny, stay focused. How can you help her? Remember she's programming. What could be killing her?

Perhaps she obtained a virus?

Nonsense.

Or was it?

Well there's gotta be other, more logical possibilities. Did someone hurt Monika?

Could I have hurt Monika?

No Danny, don't think so negatively.

I took a look at Monika. She was sleeping so peacefully. It was nice to know that she was feeling better. Well it seemed that way, at least. Maybe I should rest, too? It could help me clear my head and maybe I could think better.

I know, just a couple of minutes ago, I said sleeping wasn't an option. I wanted to stay awake so that I could be fully conscious while I lied next to my dearest girlfriend. But I mean, the bed was so comfortable! And there was a possibility I'd perform better after a nap, so what was there to lose?

I cuddled closer to Monika and allowed myself to fall asleep.

But I couldn't.

My body felt tired, but my mind wouldn't allow me to sleep. I couldn't do it. Not while I was aware of Monika's current state. I went to the kitchen to make some coffee. Maybe a little caffeine could help me forget about how tired I was.

After making some coffee, I headed upstairs to Keith's room to check up on him. I entered his room and saw him watching TV. I think he was watching a movie, but I didn't recognize it. His computer was still on, but it seemed harmless at the moment.

"Keith, what are you doing?"

"Just watching a movie. How's Monika?"

"Not great. She's asleep right now. She can't feel anything and she's really weak."

"Damn, I'm sorry Danny. What do you think's gonna happen?"

"I'm not sure, but I really don't know what to do."

"Well, maybe the computer has something to do with it."

"Monika thinks so, too. She says that it seems like it's trying to take her back."

"Let's shut it off then!"

"We can't. Monika says that she'll just end up dying if it doesn't take her." I sighed and sat on the bed. "And if it does take her, who knows how long it'll be until I get the chance to see her again?"