Morning Talk

I woke up to my shoulder being lightly moved. I just let out a small "hmm" and rolled back to sleep. After being shaken a little more, I opened my eyes and saw a fully dressed Monika. She was wearing her orange skirt with her black and white long sleeve.

"What time is it? Did I sleep past the alarm?

"It's five. But I wanted to talk to you."

I wasn't in the mood for talking.

"I'm tired, Monika. Can't we talk later?"

"Please Danny?"

Her adorable voice... my only weakness!

"Alright." I got up and stretched. "I'm just gonna go brush my teeth real quick."

She smiled and I headed to rest room to brush my teeth. I also messed with my hair a little bit before going back to the room with Monika.

"So, what's up," I said.

"Would you like to talk outside?"

I barely wanted to get out of bed. Was it necessary for our talk to be outside?

"Sure, if you'd like."

She smiled. "Cool!"

She followed me as we went outside. I took a seat on the bench that was in front of the apartment. Monika took a seat next to me.

"So, what'd you wanna talk about?"

"About yesterday."

Great.

"Well kind of," she said. "I had been thinking about it. I had also been thinking of the show I was watching when you were out. I don't know if you saw, but some guys were gonna fight."

"Yeah I think I saw it."

"Well, I had been thinking about it too. It seems like the only emotion that's shown from a fighter is anger. And it's like that's all people see. I made that mistake yesterday, so I wanted to take the time to ask you how you felt in the situation. I'd like to see your true feelings."

She was smiling through all her words. She seemed happy to tell me. Happy to talk to me. It was nice and reassuring. I answered her question.

"Ah well, it honestly was mostly anger. The guy seemed to be flirting with you earlier, and I hated his cocky attitude when I got after him. He didn't seem to care, and he was sure that I wouldn't do anything."

"So you were angry due to how he acted?"

"Well, kind of. I didn't want to tell you Monika, but our school really isn't the safest place. People are unpredictable, and I was worried that he may try to do something to you. I needed him to know that he'd have to get through me first. That I'd be here to protect you. His arrogance just added to the anger."

She hugged. "You were only trying to protect me."

"That's right. When we fought after school, I was ready to hurt him and make sure he left you alone. He pulled out some brass knuckles, which made me feel more defensive. Luckily, he wasn't able to land a hit so I was able to get the upper hand and take him down. I took his weapon and hit him with it."

"But he was unarmed, did you really need to hit him again?"

"Well, no. I didn't. I felt empowered. He thought he could take me down, and I proved to him that he was wrong. But more importantly, I showed him that I'd take him down if he didn't anything as much as flirt with you. If I hit him with his brass knuckles for flirting with you, then I doubt he'll come back and try anything else."

"I understand."

"Monika, be honest. Are you afraid of me?"

She let go of me and looked at me with a surprised expression, which later turned into a smile.

"No, I'm not afraid of you, Danny. I'm your girlfriend, and I trust you."

I felt as though she was lying, but I just accepted her answer.

"You know I'd never hurt you, right?"

"I know Danny."

She lied her head on my shoulder. I tried not to think about what had happened yesterday or now. I just lied my head on hers. After about five minutes, I took her inside so that I could get ready.