Chapter 19

Percy pov

As she fell the world seemed to go in slow motion. I could not move I was paralyzed where I stood. I saw her fall and land in the icy water and all I could do is call her name.

It wasn't until she was full submerged that I was even able to process what just happened. Next thing I knew I was in the water. My fins and webbed hands helped with speed. I got to her in almost no time but it looked like she'd given up. She wasn't trying to keep her head up or free herself. He dress was keeping her in place under the water. It was caught in a broken branch. It took longer than I would've liked to unhook it, thanks to my current form. But once she was free I grabbed her waist and shot up for the surface.

Gently I placed her on the ground, she was as cold as ice. I carefully leaned her on her side and a lot of water came out of her mouth. She coughed a couple times but she was barely breathing. Dear Gods, no. This is all my fault. I needed someone better than me here to help her. But everyone was objects right now. It was just me.

She started shivering really bad.

" Annabeth, please just stay with me. We're going to find you help. " I said to her.

We could not stay here, the wind was blowing hard now, she'd freeze to death. I realized that I should be just as cold as her. But I just felt numb. I picked her up once again, and started running.

I ran her all the way back to the study and placed her on the floor by the fireplace and grabbed a pillow from one of the chairs for her head. Once she was there I gathered all the blankets from my bed and put them over her. After a minute or two her breathing became more regular. But she still wasn't waking up.

I started freaking out again thinking something was wrong and she wouldn't wake up. Then she started muttering, most of it I couldn't make out but there were a few key words that stuck out to me. Percy, why. Two words so simple yet they broke my heart.

But she just appeared to be sleeping, at least I hope she was just asleep. I don't know what I'd do if she'd died because of me. Not someone else. Not again. I took her hand and interlaced our fingers. I held her hand close to my heart, and just sat there.

Flashback to the night the curse was cast.

" Who in hades is at the door at this ungodly hour! " I yelled out at Piper. For reasons I cannot comprehend at nearly eleven o'clock at night there was somebody knocking on my door. Nobody had answered it yet so the person knocked again. I guess if you need something done, you gotta do it yourself.

" You take too dam long. " I grumbled as I left my room to go see who it was.

When I arrived at the door, and the person knocked again. Honestly, this is so inconsiderate do they realize what time it is. And why on earth are they out on a night like tonight. It was bitterly cold, and pouring rain, it was nearly pitch black too.

I opened the door to find a girl. She looked to be my age. She had startlingly red hair the looked like a flooded rats nest. Her eyes were bright emerald green.

" I'm so sorry for being here at such a late hour Sir. " She shivered as she spoke, and she paused to wrap her soaked blanket tighter around her shoulders. " But I come seeking shelter for the night. It's terribly cold, and it will only be for tonight. I do not have anything to offer you. Just my everlasting gratitude. "

" Why are you even out here so late. " I questioned her.

" I've been traveling for days now. I was attacked by thieves a few miles back. All I have left is this blanket and the clothes on my back. And this grey rose. It was a gift from my mother.  " She pulled the rose from under blanket and showed me. It was beautiful, but why on earth would I need a rose. She looked rather faint, and extremely pale.

" You look near death " I chuckled.

" Please Sir. I beg you. Let me come in and warm up. " She wobbled a little as she spoke.

Her knees buckled and she fell backwards. She held her hand out in hopes that I would grab it and help her up. Of course I didn't.

She continued to fall, off the top step and down the stone stairs. When she reached the bottom, Piper had finally come to the door. She saw the girl, she ran down the steps. I followed, out of shear curiosity. Piper felt her for a pulse.

" She's dead Percy. "

I was shocked. Though I didn't feel responsible for her death. How was it my fault. I didn't push her.

What I saw next changed my life forever.

From her corps a green ghostlike figure arose. It looked exactly like her.

" Your unwillingness to help others has caused my death. Though my life shall pay the price for it, it will mean something if you are taught a lesson. " She began, pointing an accusing finger in my direction. " I curse you so that everyday when you look at the mirror in vain, you will see a monster. Your friends will not have to see this creature because they will become objects. Just like how I can tell that you treat them. I have looked into your heart boy. There is no true love for anyone but yourself in there. But I also see great sadness. Therefore this is not permanent magic, if you can do as I ask. "

" Please I'll do anything just leave me alone. " It was my turn to beg apparently. I hated being weak in front of people.

" If you can learn to truly love someone, without being the superficial being you currently are, and they can in turn love you. The curse shall be lifted. But you have a timeline my friend, the grey rose from my mother. Take it. It will remain in bloom for four years. You have until the last petal falls to break the curse. If you don't, you remain a beast and your friends remain their form of objects. "

End of flashback.

I sat there for gods knows how long. I didn't care, I wanted her to wake up more than anything in the world.

" Hmmm "

I looked at her face to see her starting to stir. I hadn't noticed until I looked at the window, it was sunset. I was about to change back.

Her eyes opened and saw a monster. Then she squinted since I assumed I'd started my transformation.

Once that was done. Annabeth's face was washed over with relief. She sat up, wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me.

" Percy " She said. She sounded so relieved. " I had the weirdest dream. " She began, while still holding on to me tight.

She thought it was a dream. For a moment I thought about continuing my lie and letting her believe that. But I couldn't. I didn't know what I would do with myself if she hadn't woken up.

I love her.

And I can't keep living a lie.

" That was no dream. " I said. Her arms dropped from my neck and she looked me dead in the eyes. I thought that was the last time I'd ever see those gorgeous grey eyes ever again.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Hello, I'm back. Hope you like this chapter. Sorry for what I did to Rachel. But I thought it was a really good way to do this. Please leave your thought in the comments.

Stay amazhang
- Buddy_2002 💙💙💙