Chapter 23

Annabeth's pov

I sat there. Looking at him, looking at his closed eyes that I would never see again. Looking at his arms that had held me so tight as I'd cried. I didn't know what to do, I just looked at him. The boy who'd helped me without a second thought, listened to me, respected me, loved me, fought for me.

Died for me.

I couldn't peel my eyes off of him, not sure what to do next. This wasn't the plan. The plan was to leave that gods awful town and live my life. Find love on my own terms. As I looked at my Percy's lifeless body lying before me, I couldn't help but think about how derailed my plan had gotten. My eyes wandered his corps until I noticed his shirt pocket. I gently reached inside and pulled out a small grey velvet drawstring bag. My name was inscribed on it. Well, not exactly it said Wise Girl  but the intention was clear.  I opened it to find a beautiful golden chain with a ring on it.(ring shown above) It was stunning, the knot looked like two hands holding on to one another from the wrists. On the inside of the band there was an engraving. It said "I'm not letting go. Never." That's when I started to tear up again, I honestly didn't think it was possible to cry this much.i put the chain around my neck and I sat there for a long time, just looking at him and the ring.

I don't know where Luke had gone. He'd probably gone to loot the castle. Unfortunately, I knew him. He would spin this story and tell the whole village that he'd saved me from a tyrannical monster who was planning to invade. Or at least something along those lines.

When he finally came back, I didn't even realize until he was pulling me to my feet. Then proceeding to pull me rather roughly towards the door. It was only once he'd dragged me outside that I noticed the time. It was dawn. I stopped to look back at Percy one last time. Only to see his sea creature form. Luke stopped too, but when he looked back he gasped in horror.

"I'm glad I killed that monster. Imagine if I left you here a day longer. He could've eaten you. " He chuckled a very sinister sound that made my blood boil.

"He's no monster Luke. If anything I'm standing next to a real monster right now." By now I'd stopped in my tracks. I made the decision, right then and there that I wasn't going to take another step towards that town with him. To continue would be giving up on the very reason I ran away. I could not submit myself to being his housewife for the rest of my life. This wasn't just about what he did to Percy, it was about every look he'd ever given me. Every snide comment, every time he gave me this look like he was undressing me with his eyes, every time he got in my way, every time he'd held me still without my permission. Once and for all became clear to me where my heart stood in all of this. I looked him dead in the eyes and said,

" I'd sooner join Percy than go with you. "

I knew I'd angered him, you could see the fury boiling up in his eyes.

"I would not be saying that if I were you sweetheart". His teeth were tight as he said this. The grip he had on my arm tightened.

I looked at his belt to see that he'd already returned his dagger to it's scabbard, how fitting, the same weapon he used to destroy my life would be his downfall. Without another thought I grabbed the handle of the blade and cut his arm so he would let me go. He screamed from the sudden pain, but it didn't phase him as much as I'd hoped.

"You'll regret that." He spat out the words and spit on the ground in front of me. It was now or never. I would either end this murderer,

or die trying.

I raised the dagger and got into a fighting stance, my father was a skilled swordsman he taught me well. (If you get that reference we can be friends.) He unsheathed his sword laughing, he knew very well who had the advantage. Which is exactly what I was counting on, when you are arrogant in a fight you act sloppy.

I knew I had to make the first move, even though he was already cut on his left arm, he still gripped the sword in it. I knew Luke was cocky but I didn't think he was that stupid. I know he isn't left handed. I was slightly offended that he though so little of my skills. But there was no time to focus on that I needed to think fast. He could fight at a distance, but he'd be at a disadvantage if I was able to get close enough.

The trouble was, getting close enough.

"Are you going to stand there or are you afraid you'll lose to me." I said to him, one of us wasn't going to walk away from this and I was fine with either outcome. I'd angered him with my words, he charged at me.

I was smaller than him so it was easier for me to move out of his way, we went on like this for a while, similar to the bullfights I'd read about. Him being the angry bull and me being the matador. Until finally on his charge I let my foot linger where it was and he tripped. I pinned him down and pressed the dagger between the back of his shoulder blades. He had dropped the sword yet it was still within arms reach. I threw it way while still on top of him.

"You will pay for what you did." He laughed as I said this, like a twisted monster ready to see what happens when you die.

"For what Annie. Don't tell me you actually cared for that thing." He was being sarcastic, you could practically see it dripping from his lips. Yet he showed no fear, which confused me.

"You're oddly unafraid for someone who is about to see the afterlife."I pressed the dagger slightly harder.

"Seriously, you won't do it." He was laughing again. The same laugh he gave me day after day when I refused him. "You don't have the guts to kill another person."

"You're right." I replied still holding my ground. " I don't have the guts to kill another person. I'm not you. However, I do have the guts to serve justice for the man I love." That was the last thing I said to him before plunging the dagger in his back. His body seized up for only a moment then went limp.

I left the dagger in him and stood up. I felt no guilt for doing what I did, he would answer for his crimes and the gods would eventually forgive me.

I walked beck to Percy and picked up my dagger and knelt next to him. "I am so sorry Percy. I never should have knocked on your door. If I'd known then what would have happened to you, I would have kept going." Tears were welling up in my eyes again, and it felt like I was chocking on my words. " You showed me kindness without me ever having to ask. If only I'd just listened to my heart and not let my head make me overthink how I feel we might not be in this mess. You stole my heart Percy, and I will always love you." I raised the tip of the dagger to my chest ready to die. "I hope you forgive me when I see you in Elysium."

I closed my eyes ready to go.

When I felt a familiar hand grab mine.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*
I'm alive. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Sorry it took so long. I know I keep taking forever between updates. I don't do it intentionally. Please bear with me and my writers block. Much love.

Stay amazhang
- Buddy_2002
💙💙💙