12

Although she still wasn't sure about how she could hear the boy in her head, she knew one thing for sure. The boy needed her and she could somehow feel how scared he was when he called out to her.

Hang in there, I'm on my way. She thinks and without a second thought she rushes out of the room and in his direction.

Rachel was so caught up in her own thoughts that she didn't notice the group of girls following behind her.

The medical room shakes a little as Rachel pushes the door open and steps in. Her eyes widen in surprise when she sees Ximena's hands reaching for the boys throat.

"Don't do it Ximena!" Rachel says and makes her way over to her.

"Man, that stick is fast." Harriet says panting a little and then looks up to see the scene unfolding in front of her.

Despite Rachel's command, Ximena continues to attack the boy.

Harriet manages to slow down the running girls behind her and they all gasp.

"What are you doing?" Rachel says pushing Ximena away from the boy, who although is still in a coma, is struggling to breath, his face even paler than usual.

"I'm pretty sure he's one of them." Ximena says pointing at the boy. "He's a spy."

"He hasn't done anything!" Rachel exclaims.

"Not yet!"

"Ximena!" Harriet says and walks towards said girl who looks at her surprised. "You know that's not the way we do things." She says and Ximena looks down at the wooden floor.

"I know, but-"

"No excuses Ximena, go to the slammer and cool off, we'll talk after that."

Ximena glares at Rachel and nods. "Alright, but you better listen to my warning."

"Alright sticks!" Harriet says clapping her hand to get everyone's attention."if any other stick tries to harm the boy before he wakes up, there will be consequences." Harriet says and then girls nod. "Now pass on the message to the other sticks."

The girls weren't necessarily afraid of Harriet, but they definitely respected her authority.

Harriet turns back to see the room and sees Sonya helping Sam.

"What happened Sam?" Harriet asks as she hands a glass of water to the girl.

"I'm not entirely sure." She says rubbing her head.

"How did you know that he was in danger Rachel?" Harriet asks.

"I told you, I heard him speak in my mind." Rachel says looking at the boy.

Harriet gives her a strange look but nods. "Alright, we'll talk about this later too, for now keep and eye on the boy."

"Fancy that." Rachel says and takes a seat.

Rachel, the boy and Eliza are the only ones in the room. Now that Rachel got a good look at the boy she found herself reaching out to touch his cheek, the feeling of familiarity deepening. She now felt relieved that his breathing was back to normal and the color on his face had returned.

As she was about to reach his face he speaks to her.

Thanks for helping me out Rachel.

Um....no problem? She says back concentrating as much as she can and she swears she felt him smile.

You finally did it. He says. You talked back in your mind.

I guess I did. Rachel says returning the smile. I'm sorry I freaked out and barely figured out how to do it.

It's all good.

So what all this talk about you not being able to remember when you wake up?

My memory is fading already, but I know that we did this. They sent me as the trigger so we can move on to the next phase. Everything is going to change soon.

What are you talking about? She asks but the boy doesn't reply.