23

They are heading your way. Eliza nods and stands up as soon as Rachel tells her that Miyoko and the others are coming.

"What's going on?" Sonya asks looking up at her.

"I just have a bad feeling." Eliza says and paces around.

"Stuff it stick." Harriet says.

Just then the sound of the griever outside echoes through the frail wooden walls.

"Everyone stay still and don't move." Harriet whispers.

The girls tense as the expectation builds up but the attack from the griever never comes, instead the griever lets out a roar and its footsteps disappear into the distance.

Rach? Eliza asks and waits for Rachel's response.

Now! The grievers are following me.

Eliza peeks through a small hole on the window and once the coast is clear, she takes this as her chance and opens the door.

"What are you doing?" Sonya exclaims.

"Miyoko and the others are coming-" her sentence is interrupted by the sound of a girl screaming. "I have to go." She says and starts running towards the forest.

"Liz wait!" Sonya says trying to grab her arm but Miyoko and the others arrive holding them back.

As she runs, she scans the area and notices that all the grievers are gone. Almost a as if they hadn't been there in the first place.

Liz! Aris says. Get me out of here! I want to help too.

I can't Aris, I have to get to Rachel first, then I'll go over there.

Alright. He says and sits down.

When she reaches the clearing, Eliza sees Rachel lying unconscious under the tree and carefully drags her out, injecting her with the serum which is starting to take effect.

"Don't worry Rach, it'll be over soon." Eliza says and Rachel lets out a relieved gasp, relaxing.

Eliza lets out a sigh of her own and sits on the grass, watching as Harriet approaches them "what's going on here?" She says crossing her arms.

"She got stung." Eliza says panting. "And the grievers took a girl."

Harriet's frown disappears followed by a look of concern. "Do we know who it it is?"

Eliza nods and writes her name on the dirt. Harriet presses her lips together and nods. "Alright, first let's get this stick to the slammer and then we'll see what we can do."

A group of girls carry Rachel and Aris watches through the bars. "What's going on?" He asks to no one in particular but doesn't receive an answer, instead Sonya opens the door and they place Rachel in the same cell as Aris.

The mood of the stade matches the gray sky above them and everyone is unusually quiet, leaving without exchanging words.

As Eliza is about to walk away, Aris stops her. "Where are you going Liz?"

"I'm going to help them out, let me know as soon as she wakes up okay?"

"Alright."

***

The next day, Rachel wakes up with a pounding headache. When Aris senses her movement he looks down at her until she opens her eyes and she focuses on him.

"What happened?" She asks with a groan.

"Besides your crazy plan, I'm not sure." Aris says. "But I'm glad you're okay." He says looking down and Rachel gives him a hug.

"Where's Liz?" Rachel asks.

"She's helping with the maps, but she's on her way along with Sonya." Aris replies throwing a small rock up.

As they hear the lock opening, both of them immediately look up.

"Alright sticks." Sonya says. "We need to hurry and get this over with, we are all waiting for you." She says and starts walking away.

Rachel can't help but notice the dark circles under Eliza's eyes.

"How long were you up?" Rachel asks.

"We haven't slept at all since we've been trying to figure out the maps." She says.

"Have you found anything?" Aris asks.

"You'll see when we get there." Eliza says with a small smile.

"Guys," Rachel says and the three of them stop. "I know that we can find a way out, we just need to figure out a way to survive the grievers long enough for us to get out."

"Leave that to me." Eliza says and they look at her.

"You have a plan?" Aris asks.

"Maybe? I don't know, but I know that I was there." Eliza says looking down.

"What do you mean?" Aris asks. "What did you see?"

"I was there when they created the grievers."

Second update in the same week! Since I didn't get to update last week, surprise! Here's another chapter for you! Thank you for reading and be prepared sticks, the best is yet to come.