「 16 」

We're sorry, there has been some problems with you S.Q.U.I.P. Would you like to update your system? HAH JK RICCHARDD YOU WISH.

________________________

"Don't you just love coffee?" Jake smiled, he looked so cute just existing. I was so done with being "just friends" I wanted to know what we were. Were we boyfriends? Or were we just these two losers at a coffee place. I looked back at Jake who was smiling at me. "Are you even listening?" his smile vanished.

"What? Yes of course! Coffee, mhh," he slid his cup over to me for me to try. I instantly gagged trying it. It was so strong. Why did I drink coffee again? It just made me super hyper. I wanted to spit it out. I looked over at Jake who was giggling.

"If you listened to what I had said, you would have known that the coffee I had gotten was sugarless," I swallowed the horrid drink and nodded. Jake was still laughing. It was worth the bitter taste in my mouth to hear him laugh.

"You're right, I wasn't listening, sorry," I slid him his cup back. This was great, I felt so free without my Squip. I could say what I wanted to Jake without worrying about the consequences.

"I like this, you and me," Jake sighed playing with his coffee lid. He picked off a piece of styrofoam and flicked it at me. I dodged it sticking my tongue out at him. "I mean, you seem a lot happier out of school," Jake ripped another piece of his lid off and tried to get it to stick in my hair.

"I feel a lot happier," I didn't add that I didn't have a Squip. Did Jake even know what a Squip was? Did I tell him? Would he dub me as a freak and stay as far away from me as he possibly could? Why was I feeling so conflicted? It was just Jake. My best friend since preschool. Why did I feel so awkward around him?

"I like you happier, you make me happier," Jake confessed, I felt a pang of happiness somewhere in my chest. I did this without the Squip. I made Jake happy. I did this all, all of it.

You should kiss him, good this time.

I jumped, not used to the voice in my head. He was back, how was it back? I deactivated it!

c-c-come on. you can do it. oh ugh now i sound like keanu-squip

"Rich?" Jake was looking at me from across the table, fear in his eyes. Did I really look that bad to him? I looked back at him. I couldn't breathe. I just couldn't breathe.

"Let's run away together," Jake flinched, I was looking down at my drink in confusion. I didn't just say that, did I? Was my Squip really that powerful? "Now, let's do it now," I was waiting for Jake to slap some sense into me. Just punch me. I made eye contact with him. Punch me in the face. Bring me back to reality.

"O-okay,"

Wait, what?

" Teach the pitiful children... "

- The Squip (Pitiful Children)