「 23 」

Jake's POV

I woke up in a bed, how I got there he had no idea. I noticed that my wheelchair was next to the head of the bed I must have slept in. I turned to find Rich sleeping on the floor, or wherever we were. I know I should have felt panicked but with Rich by my side, I didn't feel as scared. Rich was cuddling a pillow, shifting every so often in his sleep.

I felt my heart melt watching Rich look so small on the floor. I grunted pulling the blanket that was provided for me closer to my chest. I looked over to Rich, who I had just woken up. He was rubbing his eyes groggily. Adorable.

Rich's POV

I gasped, awake, jumping out of bed. "Do you need anything? Could I get you another pillow? Or some water? Do you need water?" I fussed. Jake shook his head. "Are you sure? Do you need me to get your chair or-" Jake laughed, cutting me off mid-sentence. He looked up at the ceiling.

"Actually-" he grinned biting his lip like he had just gotten an idea. "Can you reach me the book up there?" he pointed to the bookshelf above the bed. This room must have been some sort of office before Michael turned it into a bedroom. I had Michael take us home after we found Jake passed out behind the school. How he got there we had no idea. Jeremy thinks the Squip had something to do with it. I had to remind him that Jake had never had a Squip. Unless it affected him because we were together? If that was a thing...

Whatever, I shook my head clearing my mind of those thoughts. I was just going to drive myself insane -- asking questions that had no answers. I had to climb over Jake to reach this so-called book above his bed. As soon as I was just on the edge of the bed, Jake laughed and me down on top of him.

I giggled, nervous as Jake hugged me to his chest. Jake kissed the side of my face, giddy with victory. I narrowed my eyes at him. "Good one Jake," I praised him, grumbling in his arms. I turned to look at the blank ceiling. We lay there for a while, staring at the ceiling in silence. "I'm so sorry," I broke the silence. "For all of this, for you getting hurt, us running away." Jake turned on his side to look at me. "I'm so freaking sorry," we again sat in silence, my nerves killing me.

"It's okay," he whispered, kissing my forehead. Now I know after all we'd been through I should have just taken the "it's okay" and dropped it. However, I wasn't done.

"No! It's not okay, because of me you can't walk -- let alone go anywhere -- and you're probably grounded from ever seeing me again, right?" I messed with my cuticle, turning my head to look Jake in the eye. He had let go of me to face me fully. I instantly felt cold, I wanted to be back in his arms again.

"You know Rich, I like to think all of that stuff happened for a reason. Sure the fire happened -- my legs are a bit damaged -- you nearly died..."

 Jake cleared his throat pausing his rant to pull me closer to him. I instantly felt warm again, safe. I snuggled closer to him. "But if that didn't happen -- we probably wouldn't have run away together. We wouldn't be sitting here right now. I wouldn't have ever known I was totally gay for you. Sure some stuff happened but we're together. Isn't that worth all this?"

I nodded, we sat there and I guess we eventually fell asleep because I woke up to Michael taking a picture of us. I glared at him. "Sorry, Jeremy went out for a bit and he made me promise me to document every single cute thing you guys do together--" he explained and darted out of the room. I just tried to ignore him and went back to bed. The second time I woke up was to Jake shifting in his sleep. I looked up at him. 

This boy was going to be the death of me.

" You're Welcome "

- Jeremys Squip