41-An Unlikely Ally

Amir's P.O.V

I can't explain what it felt like to walk out of Alyssa's house this morning. I was absolutely gutted. I thought that she would change her mind about her stupid no-dating rule after our weekend together. Instead, she served me a big platter of rejection with my coffee and muffins.

I don't understand what happened. We spent the whole weekend together. We seemed to get along great in and outside of the bedroom.

Let's face it the sex was hot. It was the best that I've ever had and I've had my fair share over the years. I've never been with a woman that compares to Alyssa.

Alyssa was great in bed, but I gave as good as I got. I don't mean to brag, but I am no slouch in the bedroom. I make sure that women in my bed are thoroughly satisfied. Alyssa seemed to enjoy our time together. I don't think a poor performance was the issue. What was the problem?

I'm a thirty-five-year-old man who has made a career out of solving some of the most challenging problems for huge multi-national corporations. I should be able to figure out why Alyssa is pushing me away with her lame excuses. Then, I can get her to give me a second chance. I just need to take a step back and analyze this issue from a logical, business perspective.

As a consulting executive, I don't have all the answers. When I need key information to resolve an issue, I reach out to a subject matter expert. Someone who is more familiar with in the ins and outs of the issue and can give me information that I can't obtain through observation alone.

I knew that I couldn't afford to delay. So, I called Alex on my way to my client meeting and asked him to meet me for lunch this afternoon. He sounded suspicious, but he agreed to meet me. I let him pick the restaurant. That's why we are being seated at one of the most expensive steakhouses in the Bay Area.

Alex takes a seat and briefly looks at the menu waiting for our hostess to leave. Then, he looks up from his menu, "I know this isn't a business meeting. Tell me why you were so eager to meet me for lunch. Is this about Alyssa?"

"You hit the nail on the head. I thought things were going great this weekend. This morning, Alyssa ended things before she left for the airport. It didn't make any sense. You seem close and I thought you could share some insight on the situation."

"You seem like a good guy, but you need to realize that my loyalty is to Alyssa. I won't do anything that could hurt her."

"I wouldn't ask you to. I think she has feelings for me, but she won't admit it. She is pushing me away, but I know that we could be really good together. I just need her to give me a chance."

Alex takes a sip of his beer and seems to be deep in thought. "Did Alyssa tell you why she doesn't date?"

"Alyssa gave me a lot of excuses. She told me that she's not ready to date. Alyssa said that she is too busy for a relationship. She said that she has too many responsibilities as a mom. Alyssa even tried to point to a conflict of interest based on our positions in the company. I don't think any of these excuses were the reason for her breaking off things this morning. That's why I need your help."

"Look Amir. Alyssa is a very private person and she doesn't share personal details with many people. I am one of just a handful of people who she confides in. I don't want to betray her trust, but I want to make sure that she has a second chance to be happy. If I help, will you promise that you won't hurt her?"

I look across the table at Alex. Without hesitation, I say, "You have my word."

"Alyssa says that she wants to be happy, but she has a lot of guilt about what happened to her husband. I think she unconsciously sabotages any opportunities for her own happiness."