Part Eleven

Note from author: MARTIN'S KIDS NAMES ARE COMPLETELY MADE UP BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT HIS ACTUAL FAMILY WHICH IS SILLY BUT HEY :) HOPE YOU ENJOY ANYWAYS!

Martin Donnelly read the text with fear dawning on his features. He'd got home from work at 8:30pm when he read the text from Ant.

His panic increased, however, when his little brother's best friend answered the call with an evident shake to his voice.

"Martin. Thank goodness," Ant breathed in relief.

"Anthony, what's happened?! Where the heck is my brother?" Martin replied, not even bothering with a proper greeting. He heard Ant laugh dryly, almost like he was angry at the world and Martin was confused and worried.

"He's in hospital, Mart. Little guy decided he didn't like himself anymore,"

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?! 'Didn't like himself'? Anthony, you tell me what happened right now!"

"He's attempted suicide, Martin! He tried to kill himself and he's now unconscious in hospital!" Ant yelled down the phone, tears streaming down his cheeks, which were already covered in dry tearstains from a couple hours before.

At those words, Martin's breath momentarily left him and he froze. "W- what?" He stuttered out quietly, not wanting to believe it. His wife, Sharon, who had chosen that moment to walk into the room, watched him in worry as she saw the tears gathering in her husband's eyes.

"Bob and I...we went over to his place last night. We was worried. Dec wasn't himself and we wanted to check on him...we found him laying in the bathroom. He overdosed and...and hurt himself," Ant was opening crying again now, "The paramedics brought him to the hospital. They sedated him and I don't...I don't know if he'll ever be okay again after this,"

Martin couldn't find the words to say. Sharon rubbed his arm gently, silently assuring her husband that she was there, even when she didn't know what was happening.

"Shit...Anthony, I...oh shit. Okay, listen, I'm booking a flight right now. I'll be there tomorrow evening," He said, wiping his tears, "Just...stay with him and tell him I'll be there soon,"

He heard Ant sniff loudly and could almost see him nod.

"Ok- okay. Please. Please h- hurry," Ant sobbed, and Martin broke then. Hearing Ant, who was normally so strong, break down caused the older man to begin.

"It'll be alright, pal. I promise. Our Decky will be fine, he's a tough bugger," When they bid their farewells, Martin dropped his phone and sobbed into his hands.

"Babe, what's happened?" Sharon asked, pulling the distraught man into a hug. She rubbed his back and kissed his hair. Martin buried his face into her neck and just shook from the force of his sobs.

Their kids heard the noise and ran into the kitchen to see their father crying. It scared them and they could feel their own tears forming.

"De- Declan," He sobbed, "He...he...he's hurt and in hospital...Ant said...he said that Decky, that he tried...tried killing himself and...and...oh god,"