Part Nineteen

In the hospital car park stood Ant. He was puffing on a cigarette and talking into his phone. "He's doing better today, mam. The doctor said he's stable and he's staying awake for about 20 minutes at a time now which is good," He paused, listening to the reply.

"That's wonderful, Anthony," Christine gushed from the other end, "He'll be back to himself in no time,"

Ant sighed and crouched down against the wall, "I hope so, mam, I hate seeing him like that. All...small and so childlike in that bed," He tried so hard not to allow the tears to fall. He didn't want to seem weak.

Christine sighed sadly, "I know, sweetheart. It must be awful for you. Listen, I'm getting on my flight tonight and I'll be there tomorrow evening. Just hang on for just a little bit longer and then me and you can go get some food for a bit okay?"

Ant nodded and plastered a tight smile onto his face. "Yeah...sounds good. Thanks, mam. Love you," He replied.

"I love you lots, pet. Now, go back to Declan, yeah? I'll see you soon," With that, Ant hung up and stomped out his cigarette before making his way back into the ICU.

//

Anne sat at her youngest son's bedside, brushing his hair from his face. Dec was dozing, his eyes closed lightly with a small smile on his face. "How're you feeling, sweetheart?" She asked her son softly. Dec opened his eyes slowly and smiled up at her.

"I'm 'kay, mam," He whispered in reply, "Look, I'm sorry. I was an idiot and I was selfish," He began, "I just didn't feel loved and I felt that," He paused before taking a deep breath and looking at her, "I felt that everybody would be happier without me,"

Hearing Dec say that, Anne broke down and gently pulled him into a hug while kissing his hair, "Never think that, Declan Joseph, you are loved more than you could ever imagine," By this point, Dec was sobbing openly too, "You, my darling lad, are so special and so wonderful that sometimes, I wonder how lucky I really am to have you as my son,"

Declan and his mother sat cuddled up on the hospital bed. Dec had a tight grip on his mother's shirt, his knuckles turning white from the force. Anne didn't seem to mind, however, as she stroked his hair and pressed kisses to his head. "I love you so much, Declan Joseph," She whispered, closing her eyes tightly.

At this moment, Ant walked into the room. He teared up again at the sight. Anne heard the door open and smiled tightly at her son's best friend. She beckoned him closer and he did so, ever so slowly. As he reached the bed, he extended a hand and gently placed it upon Dec's shoulder.

The smaller man looked up and his bottom lip quivered once more and Ant immediately drew him into a hug. Anne stepped away and wiped at her eyes. Declan's body shook with the force of his sobs and as his best friend held him, his face was hidden in Ant's shirt and his arms were so tightly wrapped around the slim body.

//

"It's okay. You're okay, Decky. Sssh, I've gotcha," Ant whispered tearfully, holding Dec closely and stroking his hair.

"Anth," Dec sobbed, his hands moving around Ant's back as if searching for more comfort. Ant responded by pulling away and taking Dec's face into his hands and staring straight into his eyes.

"Declan, listen to me," Ant firmly spoke, but gently, "Sssh now. I've got ye and you're safe. I promise you. I'm not mad, nobody is. We're just so fucking glad that you're okay and we're gonna get you through this, alright? I'm here and I'm never leaving you,"

That was the moment that Dec knew. He knew he had the best friend and the most wonderful family around him who supported and loved him more than he ever could imagine. Ant's smile grew wider as Dec's eyes lit up with love and admiration.

"I love you, Declan Donnelly. You're me best pal and that ain't ever gonna change. Without you, I cannat even imagine what I'd do. My life is with you. You make me so incredibly happy. When I wake up every morning, you know what I think?" Dec shook his head and looked at him with fresh tears,

"I think about you and what we're going to achieve together. This career we have, it's so special because we have a bond that nobody else has. We're not just work partners; we're best friends, we're brothers, we're one and I never understand how fucking lucky I got to be able to work with you every single day,

"I never want you to forget that. Ever. You're my life and I'm not Ant without you. I love you," As Ant finished, Dec spluttered and his hands moved to sit on top of Ant's, who were still on his cheeks.

"I love you so, so much, Anth. I'm so, so sorry! I love you, I love you, I love you," The older man grinned wetly, shoving his body against the taller man's and Ant let out a loving laugh and held him tightly once more. He lowered his lips to Dec's head and pressed a loving kiss on the sandy hair.

"I love you," They both whispered softly.

Note from the author:
I actually teared up while writing this 😂
I haven't proof read it, so I apologise for any mistakes, but I've been working on this chapter over the last few days while on my breaks at work and before my shifts.
I hope you enjoyed it.
The story will be calming down from drama for a couple chapters but if you like drama, then please let me know and I'll change it up a bit 😊

Next chapter will be the start of Dec's recovery and Christine arrives, along with more Bob! Ali and Lisa (because Ant and Lisa were still together at the time when I've based this story) will also be making appearances!

Massive thank you again guys! Your support and love is overwhelming to me and you guys are the reason I keep updating! ❤