chapter 26

Chapter 26 (unedited)

It was raining outside the house, screaming can be heard from inside the house. Peeking thru the hole a shadow of a person beating up a small child can be seen.

"No daddy, please" the little girl pleaded. Tears rolling on her cheek. One of her hand wiping away the tear and the other trying to stop the beating from her father. The man was using his belt to beat the life out of the little girl. The metal part knocking the girls hands and body.

"Why did you disobey me?" the tall man asked, her father maybe.

Every single time the belt hit her body, she screams and cried. Her screaming and tear fueled the man anger. He raised his hand higher and lashes it on the small girl fragile body. Where ever the belt hit her skinny body, red mark formed.

Whip! Whip! Whip! The belt hit the same spot, red liquid coming out from the same place the belt hit. The girl moves away but the man pulls her back forcefully.

The girl couldn't answer the question. How can she? The man keeps on beating her mercilessly. The only reason, the little girl didn't bring his liquor.

A woman scurries inside the room, covering the girl body with her own. The beating didn't stop. It became more brutal.

"You can beat me, leave Sofi" the woman said crying.

The man pulled the woman's hair throws her across the room, kicked her hard. Throwing away his belt, he punches the woman body and face, leaving bluish mark wherever it landed.

"Daddy, leave mum" the small girl said, pleading with her father, holding his leg. Crying. Her eyes filled with sympathy and requesting for mercy from the man she called daddy.

Then man yanked the girl hair, pulling her up and throws her on the floor.the girl covers herself.

Feeling satisfied, the man leaves the room. Both the woman and the little girl cried hugging each other...

"hey filthy woman, go buy my liquor or I will kill both your daughter" while poking the woman forehead.

"Daddy, leave us ...please..."

I woke up shielding my face, forming an x with my arm. My night gown drenched with my sweats. Heart pounding rapidly. Frantically, I looked around. This is the third time this week I'm having this nightmare. 

There is a shadow leaning on the door frame, opening the room door. My heart rate quickens. Shaking my head I tell myself, that's not him, not Daddy. He is dead, remember!.

"Sofi?..Why are you screaming?" concern in his voice.

Emraan? Why is here? He can't be here.

My breath labored. I felt like someone choking me. Instinctively, my arm went to my neck, trying to release the invisible hand clamping on my neck. There is uneasiness knot on my stomach, and my mouth went dry. My arm clutches my stomach and I ran to the bathroom emptying my stomach content into the toilet bowl.

I locked myself in the bathroom. Looking myself into the mirror I saw a woman with disheveled hair and color drained face. My body trembling with both fear and shame. Leaning my back on the bathroom wall, collapses down on the floor. Folding my knee up, hiding my face in between my leg, I cried my heart out. Why is my past not leaving me?. I have finally found some light of happiness and it came back. I can't be happy, that is my curse.

Loud bang on the door brings me out of my trance.

"Sofi, open the door" Emraan yelled from the other side of the door.

I totally forgot about him. The aftermath of the dream caught me up until I've lost the grasp on time. A new wave of panic attacked me, my head felt dizzy and light. Shaking my head, I thought to myself, he cannot know what the nightmare was or why I was screaming. It was not a simple nightmare, it was a horrible nightmare. A glimpse of my horrible past.

I am not ready yet to tell him my dark past. Once he knows, he will see me differently. Sees me as broken and filthy woman, like my father used to say. Washing my face with the cool water, I saw red puffy eyes and lips. Covering myself up with my hand, slowly I unlocked the door. Smiling weakly, I walk slowly out of the bathroom only to be stopped by his hand on my shoulder. My breath caught in the throat.

Please don't ask me Emraan. I closed my eyes, whispering to myself

Emraan turned my slowly, facing him. I couldn't bring myself to look into his deep blue eyes.

"Are you okay, sick?" he asking hunching down, looking at me with concern in his eyes.

Slowly I shake my head

"Nightmare?" he asked, his voice almost whispering.

My body stiffens with that question. Grabbing the sides of my night gown I nod.

"Bad?" he asked again with distress laced in in his voice.

"Falling from high place" I lied, looking away from him.

I hate lying to him but right now, I'm not ready to show the skeleton of my past.

"Change your night gown, its wet" he said still holding my shoulder.

I was waiting for him to leave my room before changing into another night gown. But he still is standing there.

"Are you going to be like some perverts and watch me changing?" I asked him, squinting my eyes.

He looks at me wide eyed and turned looking away. Scratching his nape, Emraan is now facing the door.

He is not leaving the room? I stand there unmoved. I am not going to change while he is here, even he is not looking.

"Go sleep in you room Em, im okay" I told him. Trying to chase him away nicely from my room.

"No! You go change and I will sleep here. Just like that day, sleep together"

I opened my mouth to argue and then close it back. It is no use. Once he made his mind, it's almost useless to argue with him.

After changing into another pyjama, forcing a smile, I walk towards the bed where Emraan is laying down. Climbing up the opposite site, I lay the bolster in the middle as a barricade.

It's always hard for me falling asleep again after the nightmare. I was staring at the ceiling when I felt Emraan's eyes on me. Knowing that he is here brings unfamiliar feeling to my heart. I felt safe and I fall into deep slumber.