Chapter 44

Chapter 44 (unedited)

Looking at her reflection on the mirror, Sofi smiles.

Breakfast at the gazebo, surrounded by flowers-Emraan

Emraan left the note on her table with the same weird bouquet of flower and also a pair of blue floor length dress. Holding the flower in one hand, she makes her way towards the gazebo. Emraan waiting for her at the gazebo, flashing his 100 volt smile. He is looking dashing with blue button down shirt and black stonewashed jeans.

Every step she takes felt heavier. The closer she get to him, she feels her heart hammering behind her chest. When she finally stands in front of him, her eyes met with his longing gaze. Scanning around, she is amazed at the roses and daises arrangement around the gazebo.

"I'm impressed" she said fingering his button, trying to calm down her nerves. Afterall, today might be the last day she can look at her husband lovingly.

Smiling back at him, Sofi takes a seat opposite him. The breakfast is simple, pancakes with maple syrup and four half boiled egg with coffee. Quietly, they dig into their breakfast. All these while Sofi look at Emraan, stealing glances once a while.

Sipping his tea, Emraan says, "You know Sofi, the first time I laid my eyes on you, you was a tomboy?"

Sofi nodded, smiling. The first time they met when Adhan bullied Emraan. Standing up against bullies, Sofi gave Adhan one black eye. They were schooling in the same school. Rayhan was her classmate. Instantly, they clicked and become best friends.

"Yes.. and I becomes your unpaid bodyguard" Sofi laugh. Those were the days when the only problem in their life was homework and exams.

"Life was so simple at that time" Sofi sighs.

"I have something to tell you Sofi" Emraan stated. "But I believed that you have something to tell me too" His eyes penetrated into Sofi's.

Suddenly Sofi felt the air around them like a very sharp knife, pointed at her neck. Her breath hitched behind her throat and her mouth dry. Letting out a heavy breath, Sofi stands up. Her eyes focused on the bird chirping flying freely up on the sky. Leaning on the gazebo's pillars, her eyes focused on the bird eyeing them in awe, "once, I was like these bird, happy... no worries, soaring up in the sky" Sofi felt a lump in her throat. Sitting down on the gazebo wooden floor, she continues, "One day, dark cloud hovers over my head and boom," her fingers make an explosion sign.

"All my happiness fade away and sorrow comes in". Bringing her knee up, Sofi rested her chin on her knee. Emraan saunters toward Sofi. Sitting beside her, he listens to her story. He can feel the sadness loaded in her shaky voice.

"Sofi, you don't need to tell me anything" Emraan whisper. His hand circled her back, trying to soothe her and showing her that he is there with her.

"Don't make it harder Em.. let me bare my past to you" Sofi voice cracked. Wiping her tears away, "My father didn't die in a car crash, Em" Sofi looks away. She is too embarrassed to look into Emraan eyes.

The air around them stilled. Sofi feels the ai unbearable. The cold morning breeze turns hot, burning her soul with it.

Slowly, she narrates her story. The story of her life. Starting from her father being such a good and caring father then turned into a monster. She felt bare while opening up her past while showing the mark on her body, signs of her abuse. The ash stub and the beatings scar.

Emraan took her hand into his. Caressing it. Listening to her story makes his heart weeps and his body trembles with anger. Now, he knows why Sofi is having the nightmare. Sofi becomes a tomboy to protect herself and the others that she loves.

"One night... my father" Sofi stops. Closing her eyes, the memory of that dark night came back to her.

"He came to my room with an wicked intention, he almost raped me Em.. My father" her hand covering her face. She can't form any word, "I felt dirty Em".

Emraan blinks his eyes. He couldn't find the right word to soothe her. His hand rubs her back, soothing her.

"The man that should protect me," her palm rested on her chest. "The same man tried to rape me" her eyes filled with fury. For her, it's a memory that can't be wiped easily. Wiping away her tears, "Then Adhan came to my life; I felt that it's time for someone to protect me. I'm tired Em, tired of protecting everyone. So, when he comes, I felt that". Silence filled the air.

"He begged me, convinced me that he loves me" her eyes stares blankly. The sweet memory of Adhan proposing her filled her mind. She let her wall down, accepting Adhan love. At the end, Adhan is just like her father, abusive. She felt so stupid falling for his trap.

"Sofi, look at me" Emraan cupped her face, caressing her cheek with his thumb. His eyes studied her face. Sofi closed her eyes. Her lips trembles, and tears rolling down her cheek.

"Sofi, open your eyes, please" he requested. Slowly, Sofi opens her eyes. Her sight blurred with tears. Shaking her head, "No Em, I'm cursed. Stay away from me. My father always come in my dream and reminded me that I'm a filthy woman and I don't deserve you,". She can see Emraan eyes glistened with tears. Wiping his tears, "Staying with me, will just bring sorrow in your life. Believe me. I don't deserve you. I'm a woman with dark past that can bring you down together with me.," her hand holding Emraan hand.

"Sofi, there is no such curse. Yes, we are having problem. There is no other woman that I want in my life, just you" he said kissing her forehead.

Sofi looks away. Her heart wants to believe Emraan that such curse doesn't exist. Looking back at her life, she finds the curse exists. She was happy as a child then suddenly her father became an abuser. Adhan, the man that she loves, cheated her and possibly an abuser too. Closing her eyes, she made a decision. That is the best for both of them.

Slowly, she stands up. Resting her head on his chest, she feels his arm wrapped around her waist. His breath warms her neck. She feels safe with him, but truth will always remain that she is not the best woman for him. Del was right, she doesn't deserve Emraan. Inhaling his scent as deep as she can, so that she can spent her whole life with the scent the memory that she had.

Her palm rested on her chest, peeling away from him slowly. Her eyes looks up at the man towering over her with full of regret. Regret that somehow she has to leave this man and maybe breaks both their heart together. "I'm sorry Emraan. I must leave before my curse destroys you too," Sofi mumbled under her breath.

Fighting back her own tears, Sofi runs into thehouse leaving Emraan standing alone. Not long later the sounds of glasses shatteredon the floor echoes with Emraan screaming her name    

---------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

its quite hard for me to write this chapter. my tears rolled while writing this chapter. i felt Sofi sorrow in my heart. Hope you guys can understand her sorrow and the hurt in her life. my heart weep for both of them. Hopefully Emraan will stay strong.

While wiping away my tears, this chapter is for you guys who really made my day

jozugirl - thank you for adding this book to your list

lenorastewart730 - for really making me jump in the air

@Wateva69 - for adding this book to your list and