On the road

Author note: when I talk about Maryann's parents (my parents) in the story it's not my real life parents.

~Hunters POV~

The kids were getting restless so Katie let them out of their car seats. She fed Joseph a bottle and changed h on one of the beds. Phoenix was asleep and Kylie and Ryder where playing in the floor.

~Katie's POV~

I got the kids up and let them play in the back. I fed and changed Joseph and he's crawling around on his play mat. Ryder started moving funny and stood up. He started wiggling and I asked him if he needed to potty. He said yes so I got his potty and held his shoulders. He pulled his underwear down and used his potty. I gave him a high five and cleaned his potty. Kylie found the big girl potty and used it. Phoenix woke up and started to cry. I asked him what was wrong and went over to him. The front of his shorts where soaked and so was his booster seat. I got him unbuckled and stripped him down. I left his shirt on him but I couldn't find his underwear in his diaper bag. He sat on Ryder's potty and waited on me to find him something to wear. Ryder pushed him off and yelled my potty. Phoenix started to cry and I found him a pull-up. He didn't want to wear it but I made him. Ryder climbed up on the bed and started to go to sleep so I put a diaper on him because that's what was on top of his bag. We arrived at the camp at about 6. All the kids where asleep in the beds when hunter opened the curtain. Maryann was behind him with her arms wrapped around him.

~Hunters POV~

We arrived at the camp about 6 and when I opened the curtain all the kids where asleep on the beds. Maryann had her arms wrapped around me and I patted her hands. I told the girls I would watch the kids if they wanted to walk around by the lake. They walked out and I sat with the kids. I got up and started making the fire. The girls walked up and maryann grabbed my waist. I held her and gave Katie the baby monitor. I sat in the chair and asked her what was wrong. She started to cry but told me.

M: I used to go camping with my dad and at sunset he would hold my hand and walk on the bank with me.

That's when I got an idea. The sun was going down so I kicked my shoes off and pulled maryann up. I ran with her and we stopped at the bank. I held her hand and we walked along the bank. I sang god gave me you to her and she smiled when I said god gave me you for the ups and downs. We walked and I picked her up and spun around. She squealed and put her head on my shoulder. She kissed my should and I put her down. I pulled her up to me and raised her head. I kissed her and she kissed back. We kissed over and over again and walked back to the camper. Katie was asleep with the kids and the fire was going good so I got the s'more stuff out. I made one of maryann. She bit into it as got marshmallow on the corner of her mouth. I kissed her which was me attempting to get it off. She gave me a bite of it. She smiled at me. She is always feeding me stuff. I think it's cute. When we where younger I used to make her feed me stuff at lunch at school. After she finished she got up and ran. I ran after her. I caught her and picked her up. She screamed and I kissed her jaw. We went and put on swim clothes. We got in the water. She came up to me and laid against me. I picked her up and she wrapped her legs around me. She is definitely getting tired. I kissed her and she fell asleep on me. I carried her to the camper and laid her on the bed. I changed into some sweat pants and put one of my shirts on her. I put her under the covers against the wall and put Kylie, Ryder, and Phoenix in one bed, and Joseph in his. I laid down against her and played with her hair. I pushed it out of her face and she turned to face me and snuggled into me. I felt serving wet on my chest. I looked down and she was smiling but crying. I sat up on my elbow and asked her what was wrong. She said she loves me and appreciates that I did for her what her and her dad used to do before he went into service. I didn't know her dad was in service. We fell asleep and she woke up before me. When I woke up I heard music outside and went to see her in my chair. She was listening to I drive your truck by lee Brice. I walked over where I could see her face and she was crying. I ran to her and knelt down. I asked what was wrong and she didn't answer she just listened to the song. When the song was over I stood up and asked again. She got up ran shoved her face into my chest. I picked her up and she cried on my shoulder. I sang the song Amazed by lonestar to her. When I stopped singing she handed me her phone. When I unlocked it I seen a text from her mom (Maura). I read it and now I know why she's crying. I put her phone in my back pocket and put my hand on the back of her head and my arm under her like how you hold a baby. I rocked her and quietly made the shhhh sound. I sat in my chair and rocked her for about 30 minutes. She cried the whole time I rocked her. She looked up at me with red eyes and put her forehead on my cheek. I kissed the tip of her nose. She gently smiled and I hugged her. She was listening to I drive your truck because her dad is in service and since he is she has his truck but he got killed. Her dads name is randy. He got killed 2 days ago and her mom just found out. She missed her dad so I decided to do last night with her what he used to do. The funeral is in 2 weeks because they want to have one where they are stationed. I kissed her and carried her inside the camper. Katie was awake on her phone. She seen Maryann's red eyes and I put her on the bed beside Katie. She started to cry and Katie calmed her down. Maryann told Katie what happened and she sat and held Maryann.