20

By the time you made it to the only opened door - Minho said it was the West door and still had no idea how they could tell - you had stepped over and on multiple dead Cranks. River still used your neck to hide her face from the horrors. The poor girl was only 5 and was going through this much. You were surprised she hadn't gone insane by now.

"So, how do we leave?" Minho asked Gabi. They were both up in the front of the pack.

"We just go." Gabi waved down the corridor of stone.

"We can't just walk through the Maze!" Gally exclaimed. "It took us years to map it out originally and if they changed even one thing about it we'd be lost."

"(Y/N) did tell you how there were passages out in the walls right? Like doors?"

"Um... yes?" Thomas answered as if he was unsure. He didn't trust Gabi and you doubted anyone did.

"You guys need to listen more. Even though she's dumb as hell she knows what she's talking about when it comes to this hellhole."

You ignored her little comment and shifted River on your back. Newt, who was still hovering over you, tapped your shoulder and motioned for you to give him River. You happily complied and let him take her. You rubbed your shoulders and stretched. Kid was heavier than she looked.

Gally and Thomas had gotten into a little argument in the front of the pack over where to go from there. Small conversations about memories trickled around the group with soft smiles and laughs and you couldn't be happier at the moment.

You leaned into Newt, who stood beside you with River rested on his hip. River still had her head buried in his neck and her small doll clasped tightly in her hand and held close to her face. You placed a hand on her broken leg's thigh and rubbed the skin there with your thumb a bit. You were concerned for her. She hadn't spoken a word since you left the Homestead.

River lifted her head when you called her softly. "You okay?" You asked.

River nodded her head and stated "It just smells bad." And stuck her face back into the crook of Newt's neck.

You smiled and rolled your eyes with a sigh. This child. You squeezed her thigh fondly.

"You guys look like a married couple with their first kid." Minho analyzed aloud.

You immediately blushed and hid your face. All Newt did was pull you closer and ask "What are you jealous?"

Minho scoffed and turned to Thomas and Gally. "Would you two stop already? We need to get moving."

"Wait, let me punch him." Thomas growled.

"Go ahead and try," Gally glared. "It's not like you can reach."

Thomas almost did punch Gally, but before he could Aris was talking in your heads again. Before he actually said anything there was a searing pain that exploded in each of your heads. There were sudden yelps of surprise and yells of pain. Just as fast as the pain was there, it was gone, and Aris's voice took its place.

Sorry, guys. Aris apologized sheepishly. Didn't mean to do that.

Minho groaned. "Sure you didn't."

Alby, Gally, Winston, Jeff, Fry, Gabi, River, and Chuck looked around in confusion.

"What happened?" Fry asked.