1

You trembled, hot tears running down your cheeks. The poisonous words of your mother ringing freshly in your ears: I don't have a daughter. I don't have a daughter. I don't have a daughter. You've been waiting for the day where Ashly Savanna Paige, the high and mighty queen of WICKED, finally admits that she never loved you. You thought it would feel right, like you finally had proof of something no one believed you on. But you never imagined feeling so hurt. The pain was too harsh to describe. Like someone ripping your soul and heart from your body and burning them in lava as you watched, unable to say a word or scream. A feeling of restraint descended over you, like someone locked you down on a concrete floor, far away from feeling.

The tears had stopped falling, your breathing steadied. You took the sadness, frustration, anger, and all other negative feelings you've ever felt towards your mother and balled it up, pushing it into the deepest part of your brain for later use. Getting angry would not solve your problems. At least not yet.

"(Y/N). . ." Newt's voice was dripping with sympathy. He knew pain. But this was different. He was standing, everyone behind him. He reached out and wrapped an arm around your shoulder, pulling you into his chest. Your arms moved, fingers gripping the back of his shirt, begging for comfort. He tucked his lips in your hair, closing his eyes.

"Minho," River whispered, signaling for him to put her down. Once she was sure she was steady, she wobbled over, her leg hurt her, you could tell. Broken bones heal, given time. Her arms latched her to your leg, burying her face in your hip, her lose pigtails hitting the sides of her head with every shake. She mumbled, "No crying. If I can't cry, neither can you,"

You smiled. River had been your support system through all of this and long before. She kept you going. If anyone dares to take her away, they will be talking to you first. "I'm okay," You assured both Newt and River. "I'm okay," You said it louder, to the rest of the group.

"Are you sure?" Minho asked, his face still expressing sympathy.

"Yes," You wiped another tear from your cheek. "I'm okay,"

"We need to get out of here," Thomas stated. "I get the feeling that was a warning call,"

Minho nodded in agreement. "Someone as important as her doesn't just show up out of nowhere for no reason,"

You knew what they were saying made sense, but how are you going to fight your way out of a Crank infested WCKD building? It won't do you any good being unarmed, which, hey, look at that! you were.

"You think they left some weapons in the old WCKD complex?" Frypan asked.

"They could have," Minho considered. "But how will we get to them if the place is flooded with Cranks?"

"Vents?" Winston suggested. Which was surprisingly one of the best ideas you've heard since you got here.

"Not all of us will fit into such a tiny opening," Gally said, putting his two-sense in. "The only people here who can is Teresa, (Y/N), and River, and I'm not sending them out into a Crank infested building with nothing to defend themselves,"

"'We're.'"Thomas corrected.

"It's really our only option," Alby stated. You knew he was right.

"Okay," You said, "Fine. But River is not coming. We'll take Gabi. It's the only possible way she got here, through the vents. Only logical way, really,"

"Alright, fine," Gally agreed, but he didn't seem to like it. "Minho, Newt, and Thomas will take River. I'll stay with Fry, Alby, and Winston,"

Great, You thought, of course you were completely terrified but it's better than being overrun by them here and never getting out. Time to go save everyone.

"See you guys soon?" You asked, standing from your spot on the ground.

"I hope," Teresa grumbled, walking passed you.

Save me.