Chapter 3

Freya placed the plates in the sink, when Butterbur walked in.

"Freya, you're free to go home..." he handed her a sack of money. "It is less than last time but it's all I could pay ya" and with that Freya nodded and left the kitchen, but before she left she got the feeling someone was watching her so she glanced in that direction to see that Thorin was looking at her whilst Gandalf was talking to him, it wasn't anger but more pity and apologetic. Freya quickly turned and went out the door, put her cloak over her head and ran home through the pouring rain.

...

"I'm back father, I've got just enough money to last a few days, he keeps paying me less..." she paused there was no reply. "Father?" silence. She walked on through the house to find her father seated on the armchair face to the fire. "Oh there you are I was worried." Still no reply. "Father?" she walked in putting her hand on his shoulder, it felt cold and limp. "Father!" she panicked and swung around to face him, his eyes were closed. "Father!" she yelled shaking his body, she checked for a pulse tears streaming down her face, there was no beat. She knelt down on her knees on his chest. "No, no please... Don't leave me" she looked up at the old man, looking for some sign some miracle, but nothing. She wanted to run, run and get someone, get help and support her. But who could she go to there was no one... she was alone.

Knock knock knock. She ran to the door, in despair and opened it.

"Help me please, my father, I think he's dead." She pleaded the figure walked in and held her tight. She opened her eyes to see grey cloak she looked up to see soft, blue eyes looking down at her. "Ga... Gandalf?" she sniffed.

"It's ok" he comforted her. "I'm sorry Freya" she stood there clinging onto Gandalf. "Where is he?" Freya led him through to the living room and gestured to where her father sat.

"Is there something you can do?" she asked pleadingly.

"He is at peace Freya", he put a hand on her shoulder "There isn't anything I can do, I'm sorry..." Freya nodded understandingly. "I will stay here for the night and help you bury him in the morning, for now rest..." he ushered her to her room.

"Goodnight Gandalf" she said.

"Goodnight Freya Elmay and goodnight Henry Elmay". And with that she left.