Chapter 3

Morning had come; there was a light fog and a cool breeze. Freya lifted her head slightly most of the company were still asleep the rest were around the fire keeping warm and talking. Amongst them Fili was talking to Dwalin again and Balin, they were talking quietly to each other almost a whisper. Freya closed her eyes slightly so it looked like she was asleep. She listened for a while and then decided to 'wake up' she sat up and the three dwarves notice and automatically stopped their conversation. Freya walked over towards them, sleepy eyed and terrible bed hair.

"Morning Freya" Balin began, beckoning the others to do the same.

"How did you sleep?" Fili started, Dwalin gave him a small nudged and Fili continued "Umm, Freya... would you like me to clean your ahhh sword for you?" All the dwarves turned around to see Freya's reply. She didn't quite understand what was going on yet she replied with a gentle yes.

"Of course if it isn't a bother" she stated "and it would be very handy I'm not very good at doing it..." she blushed slightly and Fili's eyes lit up, the company cheered, Freya still had no idea what was going on.

Fili and Freya walked over to Freya's spot and she presented her sword to him. As well as a bow and arrow like Kili, Freya had been given a sword by Gandalf from the Troll-hoard. Fili took it gladly and sat down and began to clean it right away. Freya sat down beside him watching his every move as he cleaned the sword with an old rag. The company watched gossiping as the dwarf and dwelf sat side by side swapping glances and smiling.

After he finished he lowered his head and presented the sword back to her she accepted it.

"Thankyou" she responded and smiled gratefully at him. His eyes glistened at her and their eyes connected. How handsome Fili looked, Freya knew at that moment that she loved him. This connection had the same effect on Fili as he looked into her eyes.

"May I?" he reached out put his hand on her back and leant kissing her passionately on the lips. Freya dropped her sword on her lap and put her hand on Fili's neck. This time the kiss was not so gentle, this time there was tongue. Fili's tongue started to lick Freya's lips and at that moment she knew she had to allow him access, she opened her mouth and a ripple of warmth went through her body, it lasted a long time the pair of them trying to take control over the other, but Fili won. The company stared on wondering when on earth they would stop.

"Fili?" This time it wasn't Thorin, knowing it would be rude to continue on, the pair sadly separated and looked up to meet, Dwalin? Fili looked absolutely frightened.

"Yes?" he replied skittishly.

"For blessed sakes, that was most improper don't you remember what were we trying to tell you about earlier!" he looked over to Freya. "Excuse me lassie..." She nodded and left from the spot glancing back and smiling a little back at Fili.

"Dwalin... I..." he began.

"You haven't even courted her properly don't you realise that?!" he stammered.

"I couldn't stop myself, I'm in love with her!" he shouted. The whole camp fell silent and Freya went to turn around but Balin quickly ushered her over to him. She walked and sat next to Balin. Dwalin quickly returned to the conversation.

"You're making a fool of yourself, young one. Don't rush into or she might break your heart" he warned. Fili ignored that last sentence and Dwalin left. Thorin entered from the other end of the camp.

"We leave tonight" he announced "Make sure you are ready to leave". He looked over to Fili. "Fili, come with me". Fili followed obediently, Freya's eyes followed him as he left. Balin spoke.

"Freya?" Freya looked towards him "Do you know what's going on?"

"Actually..." Freya started "I've been meaning to ask you something". Balin stopped her.

"Fili's courting you" he said plainly.

"Courting?" Balin nodded.

"I thought, because you are a dwarf you would know what it was?"

"I was raised in Bree, amongst men. I don't fully understand". She replied trying to work out the situation.

"Well of course you don't, he's doing it all wrong, really. The cleaning of swords he got right however." He paused "But he is young and so are you, our traditions are very ancient and nearly forgotten ever since Smaug." Freya's heart clenched and she stared into the fire. Even though she was just a babe at the time it still pained her to remember it.

"Yes I understand" she spoke "but even if he's not courting properly..." she looked at Balin "it stills means the same thing doesn't it?"

"Look lassie, one thing is definitely certain..." Balin looked at her. "He definitely loves you". He smiled and left Freya to her thoughts. She sat there gazing into the fire lost in all thought. Kili walked up beside her.

"Ready to leave" he asked Freya looked up and nodded to him. He smiled went to walk then turned around "My brother loves you, he really does" and he left before Freya could be reply. He has never seen Kili so gentle before, it was a bit weird. Then out of nowhere Freya's heart started beating like a drum and she felt happier than she ever had before. She stood up and saw Fili making his way across the plain, head lowered. A sudden surge in her heart made Freya run all the way up to Fili and take him in her arms. He embraced her, a smile etching widely across his face and with one delicate movement Freya placed her lips on his and once again they were locked in a romantic kiss and the pair both knew that not any interruptions were going to part them this time.