Chapter 4: Refreshing Presence

I never thought that Leah would ever enter my house. To be honest, I never thought that I would have any contact with Leah whatsoever; but it seemed that our worlds were slowly merging. After a night of playing the role of her mattress, we dragged her car back to my house, and I attempted to change her tire.

"You're nervous." I glanced over my shoulder; she was sitting on the work bench critiquing my work while twirling a screwdriver in her hand. She was right; something about her watching me had me on edge, which was ironic; considering I spent the majority of my nights observing her.

"No, I'm just not used to working on Hondas." I quipped as I finished up and lowered the jack. "See, good as new." I smirked confidently and she frowned at me.

"I didn't say you didn't know what you were doing, I said you were nervous. Why else would a vampire's hands shake? I know you weren't straining yourself." She arched her eyebrow and looked at me accusingly.

"Leah, I do believe that you are seeing things." I teased but she didn't laugh.

"Why are you nervous around me? It should be the other way around. I mean, technically it takes two shape shifters to take down one vampire… comfortably anyway. So you shouldn't be scared I'm going to kill you or anything." She mused as she tapped the tool she held on the bench.

"Trust me, that's my last concern," Amused, I leaned on her car. She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Are you underestimating me?" She placed her hands on her hips with a sassy expression.

"Are you contradicting yourself?" I retorted.

"What do you mean?" She resumed tapping the tool on the counter. I stepped quickly over to her and snatched the tool from her hand. She seemed alarmed by how suddenly I approached, however not missing a beat she picked a hammer and started to do the same thing.

"Stop!" I commanded. "That's annoying." She snickered and the popped me on the head with it.

"You're quite amusing, Edward Cullen." She hopped off the workbench and then pulled her keys out of her pocket.

"I've been thinking the same thing about you for about a month now. You are not predictable at all." I said hoping that my conversation would sway her current decision to leave.

"Honestly, the only reason I'm so unpredictable right now is because my mind is messed up. I don't even know what I'm doing from one moment to the next." She sighed. "You want to know something crazy?" I nodded.

"My nose has actually gotten used to your… aroma. I actually don't hate it anymore." She smirked.

"Is that a good thing?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, considering that fact that you follow me around all the time and spend every night with me, I'd say so." She shifted her weight and sighed.

"So where are you off to next?" I asked. I knew she was ready to leave but that she was anxious about something.

"I'm going to the store to pick a few apartment search magazines, and then I'll probably head to the library to use the computer. I was serious about not returning home. I can't handle all the changes, among other things." I nodded understanding her predicament, she'd had her fill of trying to act normal around Sam and Emily she wanted to move away from them both so that she could heal. I agreed with her decision; the move would be good for her, however, I was more concerned about myself and what her move would mean to me. "What's wrong?" She asked as she studied my face. It was weird how easily she picked up on my emotions and mannerisms.

"It's nothing really, I was just wondering … if you were still planning on going out on your midnight run?" I spoke hesitantly, I don't know why, but I felt my asking about her plans was invasive. She laughed a little and then shook her head.

"Yeah, about that, do you wanna make plans or something? I mean, you know you're going to follow me so we might as well meet up somewhere and hang out." I was shocked at how blunt she was about it. "I was thinking about going to a dance class or maybe an art exhibit. Well… which one do you want to do?"

"Oh uh, it doesn't matter to me. I'm just surprised that you want me around." I said honestly, she scoffed and opened her car door.

"It's not that I want you around, it's just that I know that you're going to be, and you stalking me is stupid." She shrugged her shoulders and sighed. "So I'll pick you up here at midnight." As Leah backed out of the garage and drove down the driveway. I caught the scent of my two brothers. I watched her car until it disappeared completely out of my sight. It was then that I turned to address my nosy relatives.

"Who was that?" Emmett asked bluntly.

"The smell wasn't human … it smells like dog." Jasper inquired, "Was Jacob here?"

"No." I murmured.

"It was a chick, dude." Emmett corrected Jasper.

"It was Leah," I admitted reluctantly, hoping that my honesty would be enough to end this conversation quickly. "I helped her with her flat tire."

"Since when do you hang out with this Leah chick? Is our little Edward doing a little rebounding?" Emmett teased.

"No."

"But you do feel connected to her," Jasper stated. I knew better that to deny any of my emotions around him. He was right, I felt connected to the female shifter. "You feel her pain and are intrigued by her. You could grow attached if you're not careful."

"Or maybe, just maybe, I could have a friend. It's nice to talk to someone I can relate to." I countered. "Besides, she's the only one in my life right now that doesn't look at me like I'm some sympathy case." I crossed my arms over my chest and finally looked directly at them. "I don't need this from you two, just pretend that you never saw her, and like you don't know anything." I exited the garage and went upstairs to my room. I logged onto my computer and downloaded some articles to read. I sighed, knowing that my countdown to midnight had begun way too early today. As soon as Leah left, I wanted to see her again; the feeling in itself should have been a red flag, but it wasn't. I just felt refreshed, almost reborn, by her presence in my life. I'd have to be fool not to want that feeling at all times.