Chapter 14: Torn

Edward's POV

"So, Baseball? Your family wants you to play baseball today, right now? It looks like rain." Leah said as she put her blueberry muffin down and crossed to the window. She opened the curtains, it was cloudier than usual.

"That's the only time we get to play. You should come, Leah, I think you'll really like it." She gave me her 'I-highly-doubt-it' look. It was Sunday, and Leah and I usually made a big deal out of doing nothing on Sundays. At most we'd take a walk, a slow walk and discuss the highlights of the week. That's if we went out at all. Most Sunday's we were both couch potatoes.

"Edward, you are asking me to break tradition!" She turned back to me where I was already putting on my baseball jersey. Her eyes narrowed at me and I raised my eyebrows as if to ask what her deal was.

"I'm not a big baseball fan, Edward. I may just hang out here and get some stuff done around the house … washing clothes and whatever." She sat back down on the couch. She was still wearing her black night dress. She was contemplating going back to bed. I didn't why, but lately Leah had been having down moments. I had tried to figure out what was causing them but her head had been full of bits and pieces, I could never really determine the source. She'd been thinking a lot about this Ryan guy; that guy just might eventually become a problem. Little did she know that I was going to do everything in my power not to let that happen.

"Here, I have another jersey." I threw the white and navy blue shirt in her direction. She snickered and debated whether or not she was going to throw it back at me.

"Don't throw it! Leah, it's not that big of a deal, I'm betting you'll have fun. It's not your normal baseball game. I promise." She scrunched her nose up.

"You promise, huh?" She crossed her arms and I nodded with wide eyes as I hoped she was caving. "Okay," she conceded quietly. "Then after, can we take a walk?"

"Deal!" I offered her my hand and she shook it. I was excited. I knew how much Leah loved power and the rush of speed. She was going to love this!

Alice's POV

We were all waiting for Edward to show up so we could get this show on the road. I loved these days when the family all got together and did something fun. There was no drama and no hiding what we were, just us, enjoying some of the benefits that came along with being a vampire. The thunder had started and the earth beneath my feet was shaking; it only added to my excitement. I grabbed my ball glove and took my place on the mound. I could smell Edward's scent telling me he was near.

"Let's get ready, people!" I yelled. We were playing ladies against gents. I was super hyped. We rarely played this way because Rosalie usually complained that it was unfair. Everyone had taken their position; since he was last to arrive, we were going to ask Edward to be the umpire. When he came into the clearing we all noticed he had his new counterpart in his arms, he was forever picking that poor girl up, most of the times she'd put a protest but today she seemed complacent.

"Hello all," Edward called as he put Leah down. She stumbled, a little unsteadily; she clutched at him and then looked around.

"Hey." She seemed a little uncomfortable. He'd probably begged her to come. She was going to be bored; it wasn't like she could play. She kept looking nervously at Edward and seemed a little lost. I watched as Carlisle, Emmett, and Jasper greeted her. I would talk to her later, after I smoked my husband's face. I bounced up and down, I was ready to play.

"Where should I sit?" Leah asked. "I don't want to get smacked in the face with a ball." She clarified.

"Sit off to the side, Leah," I pointed to an area that would be best to avoid being smacked in the head with a ball. "But you won't have to worry because most of these guys are getting struck out!" I proclaimed, sassing at my hubby.