Chapter 37: You Owe Me

Bella's POV

Rage and stupidity was what landed me in front of the Cullen's house. It was the middle of the night and Jacob had just dropped me off at home about an hour ago. I banged on their door and Jasper opened the door and looked at me highly confused. They were all there and I assumed my loud rapping on the door had disturbed their peace for the evening. They all stared at me with questioning eyes except for Alice she studied me with a look of pity.

"Hey Bella," she hopped up. I guess she assumed I was here to hang out with her.

"Hey," I muttered as I looked past her to Leah. "I need to speak to Leah," I said bluntly. Leah was sitting with Edward and had enough decency to scoot away from him a little when I entered the house. She hopped up and hitched her jeans up and came up to me. She looked me in the eyes and then looked away. She made a weird face then escorted me into the kitchen.

"What's up Bella?" She asked warily.

"What did you say to Jacob?" Leah frowned and put her hands on hips. She immediately took on such a defensive stance as she should. I had a feeling she had poisoned Jacob's mind against me.

"I let him know you were still interested like you wanted. What else was I supposed to say to him?" She countered. "I heard that he took you on a date tonight I would've thought you would be a bit more jovial." I watched as she went to the fridge and pulled out some pepperoni and started snacking on it. I didn't get it wasn't she supposed to be a vampire now she shouldn't be eating.

"Well, whatever you said didn't work. He took me out only to let me know he thought we worked better as friends. He told me I should hold out for the man I meet that I have no questions whether or not I want to be with them," grumbled.

"I agree with him. I don't know what you want me to say," Leah retorted and I frowned at her.

"How can I be with the man I really love when someone stole him from up under me!" I blurted out and then I realized my own faux pa. Leah lowered her eyes and chewed on her bottom lip.

"I thought you said that you'd chose Jacob," she murmured. I didn't say anything. "Bella, you're still confused, mad, and hurt. Trust me I understand how you're feeling but you don't want to settle. I think that's all Jake was trying to say. He's smart enough to know you're settling." Leah hunched her shoulders and looked at me with pity. I can't believe that the woman everyone thought was a harpy was giving me this look.

"I'm not settling I just misspoke! I love Jacob and you promised you'd help me make him see that!"

"No I didn't I promised I'd talk to him and see where his head is at. I did as I promised I can't make Jacob fall back in love with you Bella. I'm sorry," she actually seemed sincere but it didn't make her words any less hurtful.

"Shut up Leah! I can't believe I wasted any of my energy to save your life." If I'd just let her die then … what was I saying. I wouldn't wish death on anyone. It's just I felt she robbed me of my one true love. I sat there staring at this woman who refused to look me in the eye.

"I don't deserve this," I muttered.

"I agree with you," she responded. "I don't know what else I can do to help you."

"Give me back what's mine," I whispered and her eyes finally met mine. She didn't ask me what I meant but I did notice that her hands started to shake. After a few seconds an overwhelming feeling of calm took me over. It made me regain my awareness of the proximity of the other vampires in the house.

"I should go." I gathered my purse from off the counter and headed toward the front door. I walked out to my truck and didn't realize that Leah was right behind me.

"I can ask him," she whispered.

"I'll ask him if he's sure he's made the right decision. Based on our laws I am indebted to you and if you are unsatisfied … I have to help you find some sort of peace," Leah confessed and I was taken aback. I took a minute to process what she was telling me. It made sense, that's why she was being so damned agreeable to me. She really owed me.

"He's not going to be honest with you. You should just move out. Give him a chance to get reacquainted with me and make a fair decision," I stated and she shook her head.

"He was with you first for years. He knows you far better than he knows me. I will ask him and that's the best I can do Bella." She started to walk away but then stopped and turned back to me. "I know what it's like to have someone you love choose someone else so I really do feel for you and to be honest I'm a bit insecure about my relationship so I'm not just asking for you. I will ask for the both of us. If he does choose me then you need to back off of Edward … and you should let go of Jacob too because you know he deserves to be with someone that loves him as much as you love Edward." Leah turned on her heel and went back into the Cullen's house to once again sit with the man that I considered mine. Hopefully this time Edward would be honest with himself and realize that our love still exists and is just as eternal as he is.